Author Topic: I have a rooted phone, but Anti-theft claims no root installation.  (Read 7284 times)

ITYthon

First off let me just say thank you very much to the Avast team for making such an amazing FREE antivirus/firewall/anti-theft app!  I rooted my phone just so I could have access to avast's firewall function. When the premium/donate version comes around, I will definitely be sending a few $$$ avast's way!  And I hope someday avast will have some kind of HIPS protection as well, then the app will be complete with virtually every piece of security any normal (and even above average/vet) user could ask for.  :)

With that said, I am having some issues with the anti-theft feature of avast regarding root.  My phone is currently rooted, not only can I access and use apps that require root permissions (things like avast's firewall function for example), but using other apps like Got Root? verifies I do have root and su access/permissions.

The problem is that when I check the system state of my phone in the anti-theft menus, it claims I do not have root installation, and also access to the special anti-theft root features is blocked (greyed out).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Hello,

maybe your phone is rooted - but you didn't install anti-theft with root priviliges.

try the following:
open avast! Mobile Security
open settings
go through the Anti-Theft uninstall wizard
open the Anti-Theft option (the re-installation begins now)
and make sure you select the rooted installation. try direct write method first. works on most phones.

Werner

ITYthon

Thanks Werner, that worked perfectly!  I now have access to all root features.   :D

For some reason the root installation option didn't come up the first time I installed anti-theft, it simply came up with the "device admin" prompt as the first screen.

Appreciate the help, much simpler than I expected.  :)

finsternis

Re: I have a rooted phone, but Anti-theft claims no root installation.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »
Hello, I have got the same problem on my Nexus 7 3g 2012. The problem became after official OTA update (Android 4.4 kitkat). On the previous version of android (4.3) it was perfectly working. My tablet also rooted, and I'm tryed to reinstall anti-theft with your advice many times. At first it installed with root privileges, but after "direct method writing", the root privileges in anti-theft options are dissapearing. Sorry for my English and thanks.

rileyjohn

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
I have exactly the same symptoms with a 2013 V2 Nexus 7 after upgrading to android 4.4
Tried uninstalling and re-installing but still informs me that tablet isn't rooted and functions are greyed out.

FinnishPenguin

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »
Same problem with Galaxy S4 and Android 4.4. The GPS option is not available although I have installed Anti-Theft with root access.