Author Topic: avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.  (Read 22580 times)

OsoVega

avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.
« on: July 24, 2003, 11:40:59 PM »
I got this message

The operation could not be completed.

Does someone know what to do? and why it happned.

whocares

Re:avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 12:20:16 PM »
Hi,

what Win do you use ?

is the RPC/RPCss service running (starting automatically/Manually?) on your PC ?

you might also enter
RPC error
in the Board-Search (Link see above)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2003, 12:25:32 PM by whocares »

mustangladee

Re: avast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:06:17 AM »
I got this message

The operation could not be completed.

Does someone know what to do? and why it happened.

Okay let me tell U I am having the same problem!!! But mine is due to being a Noob and thinking that maybe Nod32 was better, ROFLMFAO!  Yea I had a brainfart! Well now that I am back to reality and I have read over 30 post related to this problem none work, I uninstalled Avast and rebooted, installed Nod32 & rebooted, had it on for a couple of weeks, uninstalled Nod & rebooted and cleaned Registry intensely with Regseeker & WinDoctor, rebooted, downloaded and installed Avast Home and rebooted and now no matter what I do I cannot get my On Access scanner to work I keep getting the RPC error mentioned above, I have started and stopped and restarted RPC services and completely removed all folders related Nod 32 and Avast during their uninstallation procedures, still get this error please help as Avast is my best and only protection for 6 years, help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope, hahaha.... waiting 4 a reply... Thanks 2 all for any help!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:07 PM »
So, is the avast service running? (Control Panel -> Admistrative Tools -> Services).
If not, can it be started?
If not, what error message are you getting?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mustangladee

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »
No it is not running. When I try to start it I get the message from Microsoft saying that the program was having problems and had to close. Do I want to report it? Under that there is Error 1067: The Process Terminated Unexpectedly. Still no resident protection running. BTW... I have Windows XP Pro Srv Pack 2.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:55:05 AM »
In this case, please send me the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini (by email - my address is in my forum profile).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tikunolam

so - did anyone ever figure out why the rpc error suddenly comes us and can't be remedied? and why when the directions say to turn off avast! and then turn on - it won't turn back on? And why now my computer is relatively unprotected?

does purchasing the home version help?

mustangladee

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
No... it was never resolved. After sending you the file that you asked for (which I never received a response from you after) I got in touch with Avast and they told me to uninstall it and reinstall it. Still have the same exact problem. I still run Avast as my one and only anti virus but the residential services still do not work, or I would assume does the virus recovery database, but I have a really good firewall installed so... when I do my weekly maintenance programs I always run a boot scan and trojan scan. Only once have I found a trojan. I don't know what else to do. Nothing seems to make it work and I really don't want to use a different antivirus. Thanks for any help you can give me!

olddog

so - did anyone ever figure out why the rpc error suddenly comes us and can't be remedied? and why when the directions say to turn off avast! and then turn on - it won't turn back on? And why now my computer is relatively unprotected?

Since this is your first post, I assume you have the same problem, or what you think is the same problem as OsoVega, the person who started this thread.

It may help if you could provide the followiing information:-

What Operating system (98,98SE, XP-Home, XP-Pro, Vista etc) do you have, and what update service packs are installed?
What is the type and speed of your CPU, and how much memory does you PC have?
What fireall software do you have installed (and the version)?
What version of Avast! do you have installed, and what is the VPS (update) file version?
Do you have any other security/antispyware suites or programs installed?
Have you tried repairing/uninstalling/reinstalling the latest Avast?

The Home Edition of Avast is free, it's the Professional Edition that can be purchased, however I don't believe doing that would solve this particular problem. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
No, the free version should (must) work.

No... it was never resolved. After sending you the file that you asked for (which I never received a response from you after)
Sorry...

Sometimes, old antivirus installation and bad uninstallation prevent avast to be correctly installed. I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

mustangladee

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
Finally! I am happy to report that after 5 tries to get it work it finally is. I followed your instructions to the tee. The only thing that I may have done different this time (but I can't imagine not doing before) is that I disabled my firewall before doing any of the process. Thanks for the help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:14:37 AM »
Finally! I am happy to report that after 5 tries to get it work it finally is. I followed your instructions to the tee. The only thing that I may have done different this time (but I can't imagine not doing before) is that I disabled my firewall before doing any of the process. Thanks for the help!
Which is your firewall?

mustangladee

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »
I run Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2; 1200 MHz; 256 MB; Outpost Firewall Pro Version 4.0.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
Outpost Firewall Pro Version 4.0.
It shouldn't conflict with avast but, does it have other features like antispyware or HIPS protection?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:50 PM »
I run Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2; 1200 MHz; 256 MB; Outpost Firewall Pro Version 4.0.

I used that for quite some time without problems. However, I would ensure that you disable the anti-spyware (AS) component, a) it brings little to the party, avast has integrated AS and you could use an on demand AS application, b) it is very noisy on boot (e.g. opens lots of files to scan, etc.) this cause avast to scan additional files and extends the boot duration.

I only had the attack detection and I think the DNS cache components enabled, I just wanted it to be a firewall and let me take care of the rest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security