Author Topic: Switch to MSE  (Read 5638 times)

jimsing59

Switch to MSE
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:32:01 AM »
I don't know why I always have the urge to switch back to Microspft Security Essentials after using avast! Free Antivirus for a month. I like avast! definition updating system and sounds. MSE does have the scheduled scan feature.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Switch to MSE
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:36:33 AM »
So you didn't realise avast has a scheduled scan feature then ?

Personally on-demand scans aren't crucial and that includes scheduling them.
- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:53:26 AM »
I don't know why I always have the urge to switch back to Microspft Security Essentials after using avast! Free Antivirus for a month.
Has this occurred many times?

If so, it might be symptomatic of a larger problem.>>http://www.findcounseling.com/journal/attention-deficit-disorder/

;D ;)

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:03:33 AM »
I don't know why I always have the urge to switch back to Microspft Security Essentials after using avast! Free Antivirus for a month. I like avast! definition updating system and sounds. MSE does have the scheduled scan feature.
Don't worry...essexboy will be conducting AV Rehab on this forum at a date to be named soon!
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:07:33 AM »
As DavidR said above  Avast does have a scheduled scan feature.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

dansorin

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »
I use avast at home and MSE at work. to make things short: I also don't know and can't imagine why you would switch from avast to MSE.

DarkMasters

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »
I use avast at home and MSE at work. to make things short: I also don't know and can't imagine why you would switch from avast to MSE.

Because it's Microsoft product...  ;D

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:38:50 AM »
avast! is so powerful compared to MSE that I can't picture using it.

Admittedly, avast! would require a better understanding of the program but once you have it down, it's great.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:53 AM »
I never had any doubt between avast and MSE.
The lack of features and configurability made me keep avast all the time.
The best things in life are free.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 05:51:55 AM »

That because you love eating you're avast chocolate chip cookies making you to keep eating avast all the time ;D
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 06:11:39 PM »
I never had any doubt between avast and MSE.

What lack of features and configurability in MSE do you need?

MSE has everything I need.

I'm still using AIS. :)

machman

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »
I find MSE to be one of the weak antiviruses, it never runs a schedule scan and the update is set to once every 24 hours, and the updates are not even a complete, you need to force updates later. A complete mess I would say.
Avast on the contrary I find it extremely good, even the free version.
You need to try MSE to find it weaknesses.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »
it never runs a schedule scan and the update is set to once every 24 hours
it does, if you sett the default time to a time your computer is on......
however the most important for a AV is the fileshield...the one that runs in the background all the time, whatching every file that run/move

and as i remeber from when i tested it, if you run CCleaner it will clear the log in MSE....so it may look as nothing have happend....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:21:39 AM by Pondus »