Author Topic: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall  (Read 130978 times)

Hellion

Re: Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:33 PM »
Hi,

I really wish someone on the Avast team would post on here so we know something is being done.

I have a feeling this Issue with Comodo is being ignored.

iroc9555

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 09:37:37 PM »
I really wish someone on the Avast team would post on here so we know something is being done.

+1

Eventhough it seems a Comodo bug and it is not seen in Windows XP, there are a lot of W7 users running Avast! free ( no firewall ) and Comodo firewall who might not be aware of this.

Radaghast, a Comodo's hero, already file a bug report after he ran test with several firewalls.

https://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-firewall-and-avast-7-t82382.0.html;msg588619#msg588619

I have to point out that this behavior also occurs with W7 firewall so beware.

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 01:51:02 AM »
I will wait until this problem is sorted out before I update to Avast 7.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 07:56:51 AM »
Well, avast6 also have this "problem".
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

DogStar

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 10:10:03 AM »
Well, avast6 also have this "problem".

Perhaps you don't really understand the problem, but I can assure you, this issue doesn't exist in Avast 6.

Hellion

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
Hi,

I agree with Dogstar,

This issue is not present in Avast 6

Offline carfal

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »
Hi. The suggestion to

Quote from: NON
enable "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" in Web Shield Expert Settings

i think is the best work around for now.

I did discover however (using Snagit v11 in this example)  that if i first left the "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" option enabled and did an "upgrade check" from within Snagit that a pop up from Comodo would appear (the option to "Remember me" i would leave unticked).

If i then disabled the "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" option, Comodo popup DID NOT appear and access was granted. Of coarse the whole point of this thread is that this should not happen.

Now the important bit. If i now re-enable the "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" option and run the "Upgrade check" from within Snagit, access is now also granted without warning whereas before, it didn't?? Somehow the previous illegal "allow" is remembered. I guessed that a reboot would fix this and sure enough it did.

So it seems that by testing this issue by turning the "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" on and off in one session will in itself wreak havoc and give undesired results.

So to summarise, enable "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" in Web Shield Expert Settings and reboot. Now run your tests and see if this solves your issues.

Hope this helps.

Hellion

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
Hi,

Tried Release 2 and the problem still persists.

Hellion

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
Hi,

an program update was available today.

I installed it. (I was running Avast 7 R2)

The problem still persists.

My Firefox and Thunderbird still work normally (With no rules or explicit block rules, except https is blocked in FF though)

I have "Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" Enabled, but I'm pretty sure the Mozilla processes are Very well known.

I really hope a Fix will be presented, or at least a reason why not.

At the moment I feel that Avast is not even aware of this issue, nor do they care.

HighWalker

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
Same issues here, had to roll back to version 6 so comodo would function correctly.

This is a serious issue and should have been addressed immediately, as it also effects other firewalls as well, like windows 7's firewall.

Not to mention most with this issue wouldn't even be aware of it...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:34:50 PM by HighWalker »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
Well, indeed I have to admit there are some changes in Web Shield behavior as I have a minor problem with it (not this one), but it does not happen with my Vista machine, only with Win7 machine.
What are your OSes, all have Win7? And all have Comodo in your computer?
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

DogStar

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 02:29:32 AM »
Well, indeed I have to admit there are some changes in Web Shield behavior as I have a minor problem with it (not this one), but it does not happen with my Vista machine, only with Win7 machine.
What are your OSes, all have Win7? And all have Comodo in your computer?

From what I've seen and read, the problem is specific to Windows 7/Avast 7 (web-Shield)/Comodo and Windows 7 firewall. Does anyone know if Comodo use Windows 7 Base Filtering Engine?

Saulius

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 07:02:50 AM »
Have they worked out if this is Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit or both yet?

Pretty sure Comodo doesn't use the W7 Base Filtering Engine since I imagine it wouldn't be so good if it did, its not like Windows 7 Firewall Control which apparently also has this bug conflict with the new Avast! 7 Web Shield and besides Comodo FW installs the entire bulk of CIS so why would it as an overly full third party FW?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:09:10 AM by Saulius »

DogStar

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 01:58:31 AM »
Have they worked out if this is Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit or both yet?

Pretty sure Comodo doesn't use the W7 Base Filtering Engine since I imagine it wouldn't be so good if it did, its not like Windows 7 Firewall Control which apparently also has this bug conflict with the new Avast! 7 Web Shield and besides Comodo FW installs the entire bulk of CIS so why would it as an overly full third party FW?

I was just curious about the reasons why, both CIS and the built in Windows 7 firewall, have the same problem. It seems logical to conclude there's some shared functionality. As a number of third-party firewalls use the base Microsoft code, this was a natural assumption. As far platform, it affects both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. 

hardov

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 03:20:47 AM »
no solution yet?