Author Topic: Automatic update via command line  (Read 6398 times)

Offline pcguy

Automatic update via command line
« on: January 13, 2006, 02:17:38 AM »
I use Avast as a secondary virus scanner and would like to be able to run ONLY the updater for Avast and have it apply the updates without user intervention and without having the systray ICON loading.

Offline pcguy

Re: Automatic update via command line
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 02:21:14 AM »
Does the lack of replies to this message mean that command line updating without Avast application running in systray is impossible?

???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 02:43:26 AM »
I for one don't know if this is possible, certainly in the configuration you are using. Since avast wasn't designed to do what you are using it for, a non-resident scanner I personally can't see it working.

Also as far as command line instructions go I think this is a function only available in the Pro version. I guess your talking of a batch file, etc. to do this.

Based on my limited understanding (or mis-understanding) of what happens for an auto update to occur the aswUpdSv.exe would have to be run, which checks for updates and I assume creates the avast.setup which allocates which server to use, etc.

The problem I see in trying to do this without avast running would be how it would check what is the current VPS and Program version to be able to know what incremental updates to download and updating current version after update.

I would guess the lack of replies is down to our (volunteers) lack of knowledge of the inner workings of avast and it being used as a non-resident scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 03:19:57 AM »
Does the lack of replies to this message mean that command line updating without Avast application running in systray is impossible?
If you mean the system tray icon not appearing (running), i.e., the ashdisp.exe process, it's totally possible.
If you mean a command line to start it (without the services running), it's only available in the Professional version (ashupd.exe).
The service aswUpdSv.exe does not to be running for manual updates (just the automatic ones).

The problem I see in trying to do this without avast running would be how it would check what is the current VPS and Program version to be able to know what incremental updates to download and updating current version after update.
The ashUpd.exe (from Pro version) check the files versions into the setup subdirectory of the avast folder installation.

Oh, like David said, respect the volunteer work of us  8) ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline pcguy

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 06:16:16 AM »

If you mean the system tray icon not appearing (running), i.e., the ashdisp.exe process, it's totally possible.
If you mean a command line to start it (without the services running), it's only available in the Professional version (ashupd.exe).
The service aswUpdSv.exe does not to be running for manual updates (just the automatic ones).

So I can disable the ashdisp.exe process and as long as the aswUpdSv.exe is running as a service the application will download updates. Correct?

The ashUpd.exe (from Pro version) check the files versions into the setup subdirectory of the avast folder installation.

Oh, like David said, respect the volunteer work of us  8) ;)

I am using the free / home version of the product. I am also a volunteer for 20 years and realize how thankless the job can sometimes be. I am sorry if my previous replies came across the wrong way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 11:44:40 AM »
So I can disable the ashdisp.exe process and as long as the aswUpdSv.exe is running as a service the application will download updates. Correct?
Yes, manually. The updates will be done only when you manually ask for them.

I am using the free / home version of the product. I am also a volunteer for 20 years and realize how thankless the job can sometimes be. I am sorry if my previous replies came across the wrong way.
Never mind that much... welcome aboard  8)
The best things in life are free.