Author Topic: Avast Free Installation  (Read 3353 times)

naren17

Avast Free Installation
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »
This is the only bestest complete free antivirus, excellent for novices & experts too. My heartiest thanxx to Avast team for giving the software free & securing the world against internet nasties.

Just want to know, why Google Chrome in the Avast Installtion?

Created a prob for me. Yesterday Installed Avast free without internet connection. Installtion of Google Chrome was checked. I didn't unchecked it thinking internet connection is not there so Google Chrome will not be downloaded & installed, expecting Google Chrome installation file is not included with Avast package.

And yes Google Chrome was not installed, but in task manager I saw googleupdate.exe. I restarted the system & it was still there. There was nothing related to this in msconfig - startup. I have only one Google software Picasa & googleupdate.exe was never there.

After few searching I found out that googleupdate entry was there in services which was set to automatic but was stopped. Previously this entry was there but was set to manual & disabled.

I guess during avast installtion though google chrome was not downloaded & installed coz there was no internet connection, somehow the google update entry in services was set to automatic & googleupdate.exe appeared in taskmanager.

But how this is possible if google chrome was not installed. Does avast installation contains some basic files of google which may have lead to this? And why the need for chrome in Avast installtion?

Thanxx
Naren

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Free Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:21:49 PM »
Google Chrome is a partnership. avast was included in Google Pack.
Both are free. avast does not include Google Update by itself. Didn't you install any other Google product separately? Picasa could include it.
The best things in life are free.

naren17

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
No other google softwares. I dont remember if it comes with Picasa but googleupdate was there in the services set to manual.

If I remember well, previously there use to be an entry googleupdater in control panel whenever you installed google products & I use to always uninstall it. So I guess googleupdater was uninstalled so googleupdate was set to manual in services. It wasn't removed coz picasa was installed.

I remember well that googleupdate was set to manual in services & after avast installation it was on automatic, though google chrome which comes with avast was not downloaded & installed.

So wanted some info & posted here. What you say?

Does Avast gets any money for featuring chrome installtion in avast package?

Thanxx
Naren

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
If I remember well, previously there use to be an entry googleupdater in control panel whenever you installed google products & I use to always uninstall it.
Never heard about that? Aren't you mixing with Java or Video card (NVidia)?

Does Avast gets any money for featuring chrome installtion in avast package?
Financial details were never revealed (and probably won't).
The best things in life are free.

naren17

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
No mixup buddy.

Anyway just wanted to mention what happened here. May be due to other things.

Thanxx
Naren