Author Topic: CCleaner thinks I have Avast 5 and Avast 6  (Read 3588 times)

norel

CCleaner thinks I have Avast 5 and Avast 6
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:29 AM »
If you have version 5 and you update to 6 through the interface, the Avast5 program folder doesn't change to just "Avast" as it is if you do a fresh install of 6, and the .ini file is still Avast5. Even if you do a fresh install of 6 the .ini file is still Avast5. CCleaner recently added support for Avast 6 and now it's reporting that I have both 5 and 6. Are there any plans for future updates to make everything change to the correct version? The inconsistency couldn't be good I wouldn't think.

ady4um

Re: CCleaner thinks I have Avast 5 and Avast 6
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:07 AM »
If you clean your older installations of avast with the removal utility, and you manually delete all (hidden) folder that contain "avast" or "alwil" in their name, a new clean installation of avast will be using a new path.

But avast needs to support the update method anyway, so the old path is still valid, as it should.

The problem is no in avast, but in CCleaner. CCleaner detects the path, and according to it, then the list of items is built. That's how it works. You could have "anything" in that path, and CCleaner would be adding the same item.

If you right click on the item ("Avast 5") and select "analyze", you will see the list of logs that CCleaner detects (which might be not the complete set). If you do it in the other item ("Avast 6"), the resulting list on the right pane will be blank.

Conclusion: CCleaner detects the path, no matter which version of avast you really have.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
There is no inconsistency. Some files on version 6 keep the name of version 5 to allow upgrade. Nothing more.
The best things in life are free.

norel

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
Tech, what do you mean exactly by "allow upgrade?" If I have version 6, wouldn't an upgrade be something higher. Why would a file with version 5 in the name be necessary to upgrade from 6 to 7 for example?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:35:52 PM »
Tech, what do you mean exactly by "allow upgrade?" If I have version 6, wouldn't an upgrade be something higher. Why would a file with version 5 in the name be necessary to upgrade from 6 to 7 for example?
I'm talking the upgrade from 5 to 6 done in the beginning of this year. Not an installation from scratch.
To keep homogeneity, the file avast5.ini (for instance) was kept named this way in version 5.
If version 7 requires an installation from scratch, that wouldn't happen.
If it can be directly upgraded from version 5, maybe things will be kept as they are.
After all, it's just a file name, nothing more.
The best things in life are free.

norel

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »
On one of my computers I installed Avast 6 from scratch and it still has avast5.ini. To me this just seems like sloppy work. A file's name isn't "just a name," it's everything. I've never seen any other program that retained folder and file names from previous versions. It's obviously causing problems in CCleaner, who knows what else.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »
@Norel,

I won't return on my words "too much". Read the replies. There is no problem in Avast. CCleaner works as it works. The reasons for the file names were explained by Tech, and the other issues were also explained.

There is nothing wrong, and nothing to correct.

norel

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:43:16 AM »
ady4um, I'll take you at your word that you believe there's nothing wrong, but to me it looks like like lazy and poorly written software.