Author Topic: Confused - help please!  (Read 4273 times)

rata5

Confused - help please!
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:24:18 AM »
Hi, I have the Avast 4.8 Edition, I was browsing thru a website yesterday and clicked on a link. Almost immediately all these alert signs started coming up on my screen telling me my pc was infected with 29 trojan horses, viruses and worms, I tried to get out of these windows that kept coming up because I thought I was protected with Avast. I rang my daughter on Skype about it and while I was talking my pc closed down and a blue screen came up with information. The company that kept sending me the alerts were called Security Tool http://securitytool.com. Because I was probably in panic mode by this time I typed in my details and visa to Security Tool and they proceeded to clean up my pc very quickly, I then receved notification that my pc was now clean. I wondered why Avast hadnt alerted me of this? I'm very confused and perplexed by this. Has anyone heard of Security Tool? They appear legit, Ive emailed them since and am waiting for a reply. Ive never experienced anything like this before. Ive now paid twice for security protection, once with Avast 4.8 Professional now a supposedly one off life-time payment to Security Tool. They do offer a 30 day refund policy, but before I rush into anything, I want to find out what my options could be, why this happened etc. I would like to keep with the security package I already have with Avast but would like reassurance that my pc will be well protected in the future. I'm also concerned as Ive read not to have more than one security type software installed at the same time.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

YoKenny

Re: Confused - help please!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:30:07 AM »
Welcome rata5

Read about rogue Security Tool:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=35239

You had better cancel your credit card as Security Tool is a scam.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:31:51 AM by YoKenny »

GhOstMaStEr

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 02:36:12 AM »
Welcome rata5

Read about rogue Security Tool:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=35239

You had better cancel your credit card as Security Tool is a scam.

+1
It fake AV...
see here .. http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/securitytool.com
And it listed on malware site..   www.malwareurl.com/listing-urls.php

rata5

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Thank you Yo Kenny and GhOst MaStEr for your prompt and helpful replies. If only I had seen these posts beforehand and I would've been most likely more prepared when I got these popups. I wonder how many people are being sucked into submitting money from these rogues. Gosh they looked so believable and I'm not usually that easily fooled. Like we get heaps of warnings about phishing etc.
Ive already cancelled my credit card thanks, did that as soon as I realised what might have happened.
Would be good to get these messages out there to as many people as possible. Pity they cant catch these rogues and get them stopped in their tracks and make them pay for what they've done to people.
Thanks again.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
This is why I like to have system Layered Protection with several security applications.

* An up to date anti virus application with avast!
* An up to date anti malware application like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)
* Up to date HOSTS file that prevents access to known malware sites with hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS file managed with HostsMan.
* A system Security monitor that watches over them that WinPatrol provides.

rata5

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
Hi, Thanks again for your reply. I tried turning on my computer before and that Security Tool form came right on my screen, I cant do anything. I turned off my computer immediately. Please what can I do now as I am unable to move past it. I am on my next door neigbour's computer.
Help please.

GhOstMaStEr

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »
Try boot on safe mode(press F8 when boot) and uninstall that Software from add/remove on control panel.. Use ccleaner to remove any registry that left behind ,delete folder on Program file and scan using malwarebytes.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 10:23:59 AM »
Kia Ora rata5.

Did you read the link to malwarebytes.org that YoKenny posted?
There is a removal procedure there involving the download of a free program (MBAM) which is a very good scanner/remover. Highly recommended.
Go through the steps as recommended. Once the MBAM program has been installed and updated, (choose the free download button to download it) disconnect from the net for the scan and removal. Run a quick scan, a report will appear, select everything it finds, then click "remove selected" (which will quarantine the malware items) and if prompted to restart to complete removal, do so immediately.
Run another quick scan after the restart. Post the first and second scan report. Scan reports can be located in the MBAM GUI by pressing the "logs" tab.
The log can be copy and pasted to your reply, or added as an attachment.

Later we'll talk about how to create some protection to make this sort of thing less likely. Do you happen to remember the website/link you clicked on? (Don't post a working link to it here, please.)

The chances are with this sort of rogue program that you will not be able to successfully remove it using add/remove programs. Do try, though.

Must be a lot of people get sucked into these; it's a multi million dollar scam. Literally. It's big business for organized crime gangs, often based in countries like the former communist block, S America, Asia etc.
If you google "rogue antivirus" there are almost 1.5 million results. It's very common. There are websites devoted to recording/reporting and removing these.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

rata5

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:54:42 PM »
Kia Ora Tarq57

Thanks for your information, Youve all been so helpful. I took my pc into a guy living locally and he removed the "bugs" from it and downloaded  Malwarebytes for me. I can see where the viruses, trojan horses, worms have been logged in it. PC appears to be going well now. He suggested I run the scan through my programmes routinely say x1 weekly esp if your using your pc for relatively long periods.

I do remember the website where I think I may have picked thse up. I'm sure it wasnt the actual website that they came in on, but a link associated with this particular website, it all happened so quickly.

I was wondering if you need to go into a website and maybe need to click on a link for important reasons for yourself, can you get your anti-virus programme to scan the link before you open it? Iknow they scan websites but I believe they dont always pick up viruses coming through on links.

Yes, it would be good to talk about how to create some protection to make this sort of thing less likely to happen again, later.
Thanks