Author Topic: avast silence/gaming mode  (Read 37743 times)

silencekvala

avast silence/gaming mode
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
i just got my self chewed out by my friend for not using gaming mode while playing a mmo
he clames that because i wasnt using it a viris whiped out half the computer

i thought all it does was disable popups and info windows.............

what does gaming mode acually do???

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: avast silence/gaming mode
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
You're right. It does not change the security in any way - just disables the popups as not to interfere with the game.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:37:15 PM »
It does what it says on the tin, it just doesn't display notifications to the screen but avast is still running in the background. If a detection is made then it should comply with the auto settings on Actions, Move to the chest is the default first action.

Even if you don't enable gaming mode but you are running a full screen application avast would detect that and enable gaming mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

silencekvala

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
thats what i though but my friend insinsts that the computer got screwd up because i didnt use it, what a retard!!!!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
LMAO. Thanks to all the hype Symantec and others made with their "GAMING MODE" and "GAMING ANTIVIRUS" mumbo jumbo.
I've been using antivirus software for a decade and a half, been gaming for as much time and gettinga virus while gaming is less likely than winning on lottery. I mean, you're not even accessing a major part of infection vector (browser and the internet content within it).
Besides, gaming mode just hides the popups. Usually, antivirus kinda displayed the popup anyway in the past but it was left in the background. Now they tend to jump all over the screen and minimize the game. And so they had to introduce the awesome gaming mode.
I kinda feel the ALWIL guys. They had to make one, because everyone else had it. So ppl don't wonder why avast! doesn't have one but others do.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
Pleople want a gaming mode... What do they want? The antivirus does not detect the infection? Or an application that does not use RAM? Myths and hype... It's a pity.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:23 PM »
AV gaming mode = PC Life +1   ;D ;D ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear