Author Topic: Problems with Virus Vault  (Read 16237 times)

horserac13

Problems with Virus Vault
« on: November 16, 2003, 10:11:59 PM »
Hi, as you can see I'm new to this forum.  The reason I downloaded Avast was that all of a sudden my old anti-virus program, AVG, stopped working, I couldn't open it.  I figured maybe a virus was stopping it, so I did several online scans, and the panda scan found several viruses it couldn't repair.  So I downloaded this program, now I've found several viruses, but my virus vault isn't working.  When I try to get it to work, such as when a virus is found, I can't repair it, so I click move it to virus vault, this message comes up:

Virus Chest server is not running.  RPC communication failed.

cannot process "c:\windows\system32\mssmgrie.exe" file.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my virus vault?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Problems with Virus Vault
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 02:26:27 AM »
Hi, as you can see I'm new to this forum.  The reason I downloaded Avast was that all of a sudden my old anti-virus program, AVG, stopped working, I couldn't open it.  I figured maybe a virus was stopping it, so I did several online scans, and the panda scan found several viruses it couldn't repair.  So I downloaded this program, now I've found several viruses, but my virus vault isn't working.  When I try to get it to work, such as when a virus is found, I can't repair it, so I click move it to virus vault, this message comes up:

Virus Chest server is not running.  RPC communication failed.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my virus vault?

Indeed, Virus Chest needs RPC service to be running. Do you see: ashServ.exe and aswUpdSv.exe in the system services (formely Services applet of the Administrative Tools in Control Panel).

Do you see RPC (Remote Procedure Call)? RPC is Remote Procedure Call.
There are various configurations mentioned at http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm to shutting down and disabling many of Microsoft's services which you may do not need. But
these actions - disabling Windows Services - is quite an advanced task. Avast! requires at least RPC service running... You can cause more conflits doing so. Be smart! Good luck. If you need more help, tell us.

Try to desinstall, boot and install avast again.
If this not work, please see Administrative Tools / Services
and look what is marked to RPC Service. It must be Start Automatically.
Both avast Services must be setted to start automacatilly either...

Btw, RPC is indeed an independent service of NT/XP systems. Just search the word 'RPC' in forums, you´ll get some:
This forum includes ZoneAlarm and RPC discussion
This one includes a picture of RPC Window
This is specific of RPC error

Other foruns:
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=695;start=msg3360#msg3360
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1550;start=msg9463#msg9463
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=1461;start=msg8651#msg8651
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1321;start=msg7437#msg7437
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1311;start=msg7227#msg7227
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1311;start=msg7225#msg7225
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1243;start=msg6772#msg6772
http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1121;start=msg6077#msg6077
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 02:29:17 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 02:26:53 AM »
Cannot process "c:\windows\system32\mssmgrie.exe" file.

I do not have the c:\windows\system32\mssmgrie.exe file. It seems not related to avast! (specially for the suspicious beggining of it 'ms', which seems a Microsoft one).  :-\
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 02:29:50 AM by Technical »

horserac13

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 04:44:28 AM »
Thank you for your help...I checked where you told me to, and RPC IS set to run automatically, so I tried opening the Virus Vault again and the same mistake came up.  You think I should uninstall, and then reinstall Avast after restarting the computer and that might help?  If I do that, will I have to get a new registration # for the program(I have the free edition)?  Thanks again, as you can see I'm pretty dense.  Oh, btw I deleted that mss... file, I hope it wasn't anything I need.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 02:52:00 AM »
1. I think it is a service trouble... some dependency, Virus Chest need anything more running. Maybe you can export your services list and post just the ones that are not running right now, when you try to open Virus Chest.

2. Is the avast service running? (process called ashServ.exe)?

3. Could you set the logging level to 'Error' in the avast settings, restart 'avast! antivirus' service (or restart computer), and try to use the Virus Chest... After that, run the avast Log Viewer to see the errors and post them here.

4. See this forum is the error is the same as described there.

Please, keep reporting, we are happy to help you  ;)

horserac13

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 03:51:12 AM »
1.  Ok, I exported the sevice list and I have no idea how to narrow it to only the ones that are not running, so I posted the whole thing.

2.  No, it's not running, and I have no idea why it's not, there's no icon or anything, even though in sevices it's set to automatic.  And all my viruses/trojans appear to be deleted now.

3.  OK, I posted the log error files here as well

4.  No, my error is not the same is in that forum at all, I've never been able to open or put files in the Virus Chest, plus now I find out the program isn't even running.

Thanks very much for helping me so far, I hope you are more successful than I am at figuring this out.

horserac13

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 03:52:14 AM »
Here's the error report.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 04:05:46 AM »

No, it's not running, and I have no idea why it's not, there's no icon or anything, even though in sevices it's set to automatic.  And all my viruses/trojans appear to be deleted now.

avast! Antivirus service (C:\Program files\...\Avast\ashserv.exe) is the one who manages and implements avast! antivirus services for this computer. This includes the resident protection, the virus chest and the scheduler.

It must be running or you do not use avast! at all...
I downloaded your files and will compare with mine...
I'll try to see what is happening...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 04:07:36 AM »
Oohhh, my first look at your files and I see you are using both AVG 6.0 and avast!

This could be the answer...
I'll keep reporting.  ;)

You does not deny any windows service. Anyway, avast service is not running. But RPC is, indeed, running.

Do you use a firewall?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 04:16:05 AM by Technical »

horserac13

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 03:38:22 AM »
Hey again...
Like I mentioned earlier, AVG wasn't working whatsoever, and I tried deleting it/removing the program when I read that Avast should be used alone, but I couldn't even remove it, for some reason the computer won't let me touch it.  I finally removed it all the way today, I think all the files are gone.  But my Virus Vault and ashserve still aren't working, thank you for checking for me though.  Also I don't use a firewall, to tell you the truth I'm not even sure what a firewall is! ???

techie101

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 04:52:24 AM »
horserac13,

I know I jumped in on this thread a little late, but just got back from vacation.
Indeed, having AVG and AVAST together will definetly cause conflict.
Apparently, AVG was "holding" the RPC service for its' own use.

AVG modifies the registry and you need to clean out those entries as well before attempting to reinstall Avast.

May I suggest downloading RegCleaner.  It is a simple registry editing tool.
Once installed, all you need to do is look for any registry entry belonging to AVG or Grisoft (vendor) and delete them.

After you have done this, uninstall Avast using the control panel add/remove function and reinstall Avast.

This should take care of the problem.

You will be able to find RegCleaner and other useful tools here:
http://www.jv16.org/

Good luck,
techie
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 05:36:42 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 01:05:46 PM »
Also I don't use a firewall, to tell you the truth I'm not even sure what a firewall is! ???

A firewall, as the term suggests, is a barrier from you and the Internet. If you don´t use one, anybody (in theory) could see your system, your files, etc.
I do recommend a use of a firewall. At least, you may activate XP Internal firewall (at Advanced option of the connection).

You can take a look at www.downloads.com and seach for more options. Personally, ZoneAlarm will be simple and efficient for you. But there are others very good: Sygate Personal Firewall, for instance. Kerio I do not recommend anymore (it was a good one). See links for download here.  ;)

horserac13

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 04:58:26 AM »
Hi again.  OK, I downloaded RegSupreme, and it's only a trial version, but I couldn't find any RegCleaner so I assume that's what was being mentioned.  It found a couple AVG files and got rid of them, and when I checked my services being run, AVG is no longer one of them.  But Avast still isn't running like it should, I have no resident protection, and the virus vault has the same exact error.  I truly appreciate everyone who's been helping me, please continue, because I have no idea what else could be causing the problem.  
Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2003, 03:02:22 PM »
Hi again.  OK, I downloaded RegSupreme, and it's only a trial version, but I couldn't find any RegCleaner so I assume that's what was being mentioned.  It found a couple AVG files and got rid of them, and when I checked my services being run, AVG is no longer one of them.  But Avast still isn't running like it should, I have no resident protection, and the virus vault has the same exact error.  I truly appreciate everyone who's been helping me, please continue, because I have no idea what else could be causing the problem.  
Thanks!

No, I suppose we were not talking about RegSupreme (I do not know anything about it...). Anyway, there are some links you can try:

RegClean for Windows 98 (but works on XP)
BeClean Specially the Registry Cleaning feature
But the best, you can make a download for try, is PowerTools. Very powerful registry power tools, with lots of extra options]very powerfull registry power tools, with lots of extra options. Unfortunately, it's a shareware.

I do not have the file you mentioned: c:\windows\system32\mssmgrie.exe
I tryed a Google and Microsoft search and nothing...

I strongly suggest you this:
1. Download avast! 4.1.289
2. Desinstall your actual version of avast (Control Panel).
3. Boot
4. Run PowerTools and choose Registry cleaning. You can choose the option of a backup of the removed itens.
5. Use Avast Uninstall for complete desinstallation.
6. Boot
7. Install the downloaded 4.1.289 version.

Anyway, if you need another licence key, the registration form can be found here.

techie101

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2003, 04:28:32 PM »
horserac,

Technical is right on the money with his approach.  This is the best course of action based upon what has been done thus far.

Technical,
Thank you for providing the link for the registry cleaners.  RegCleaner was provided by jv16.org but has been taken over by Macecraft software who do not seem to be into freeware versions anymore.

later,
techie
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 04:31:09 PM by techie101 »