Author Topic: aswrdr.sys causes system crash  (Read 12767 times)

gswonsn

aswrdr.sys causes system crash
« on: August 27, 2005, 01:38:47 PM »
My system will just reboot at various times. When I use the Windows debugger the error that is found says that aswrdr.sys caused the crash with BAD POOL CALLER(c2). Argument 1: 0000007Attempt to free pool that is already freed. Argument 2: 0000c3e (reserved) Argument 3: 02050001 Memort Content of the block. Argument 4: 84a5c128, Address block of pool being deallocated.
I am running Win XP Pro SP-2 with the Windows firewall enabled and auto updates for avast! and Windows turned on.
Thanks for your help.
George

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: aswrdr.sys causes system crash
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 01:45:22 PM »
Already used the search option on this board?
If not please do so before asking. You may find a answer to your problem(s) this way, cause a lot of thing have already been asked/solved here.

Have you read THIS THREAD
Does it solve it?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 01:54:11 PM »
Please send a couple of (newest) files from the \windows\minidump folder to rypacek@avast.com.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

darklag

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 02:09:25 AM »
 bsod with aswRdr.sys while opening a web page. Kerio 4.2.0 installed recently, aswell avast 4.6 home edition. cpu usage was probably near 100%, winamp was running and 2 clients of game conquer.... win2k with all updates, dx9b...
 i hate bsod lol...well i checked some posts but my issue is with avast 4.6 home edition, no the cd or the server... i used search to find this and others posts...
  i found this on google about minidump but i think even with more reading i wont understand it lol:
 http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-31341-How-do-I-read-minidumps.html
that also links to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315263
  that can be usefull for other users that want to know what exactly contains such files...
 From one of the posts i think to have understand that can be due to kerio conflict or something lik that.
  So i ll check further next time i have another bsod, i hope to not have another. maybe disabling webshield will be enough?
 well just you know bsod with aswRdr.sys is not only at shutdown.
(dont ask me why i post this lol)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 10:30:18 AM »
Friends,
there is an updated copy of the aswrdr.sys driver. Till the new version is ready, you can download it from here:

http://www2.asw.cz/~rypacek/aswrdr691.zip

The zip file contains two files, aswrdr.sys and aswrdr.sum. Copy both these files into C:\windows\system32\drivers\ folder and also into C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\INF\. You will have to restart the PC in order for changes to take place. The "aswrdr.sys" is the updated copy of the driver, the "aswrdr.sum" is there to prevent avast! automatic updates to replace the file with the official version 4.6.691. When we release this fix with new avast! version, the update program will automatically replace both these files (the aswrdr.sum will be deleted).

I hope this will help.

Lukor

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 03:54:02 PM »
Friends, there is an updated copy of the aswrdr.sys driver
Lukor, should everyone update or just the ones that were experiencing trouble?
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 11:05:17 PM »
Friends, there is an updated copy of the aswrdr.sys driver
Lukor, should everyone update or just the ones that were experiencing trouble?

I think the problem might occur only on multiprocessor systems. Sorry to say that, but if you have one you certainly risk the blue screen. On the other hand, there is no other change in the driver. The new version does not work any better it just won't crash...  :-[

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 11:18:57 PM »
I think the problem might occur only on multiprocessor systems.

...or users with Pentium4 HT technology should fear

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 11:49:13 PM »
I think the problem might occur only on multiprocessor systems.

...or users with Pentium4 HT technology should fear

... well, those who are not aware of the fact that their HyperThreading enabled CPUs simulate multiprocessor systems should of course fear many things.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:04:07 AM by lukor »

rcassick

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 04:19:10 AM »
Friends,
there is an updated copy of the aswrdr.sys driver. Till the new version is ready, you can download it from here:

http://www2.asw.cz/~rypacek/aswrdr691.zip

What version should these files be installed over? I cuurently have 4.6.665.0 and am having the blue screen with this file. I am running a P4 HT Prescott CPU.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »
rcassick: please read lukor's post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=4f5490225296e9fa3abfd9c189d90ca9&topic=15991.msg136787#msg136787

you have to rewrite your driver, he wrote there how to do that
if you still have a blue screen, please post it here. Thanks.