Author Topic: Crashes every time during scan  (Read 7558 times)

yogitree

Crashes every time during scan
« on: January 13, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Running the free home edition, on xp + sp2.

When i run a scan i set it to thorough and include subfolders.

However after running for about 20-30 mins the program freezes.

Its happened every time and i havent been able to complete a scan once.

Ive tried uninstalling and re-installing, but it makes no difference.

Any help i would appreciate greatly

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Crashes every time during scan
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:58:02 PM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximatelly at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

yogitree

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 05:39:27 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies.
I did a quick scan and thorough scan and it worked ok.

The problem lies when i check the box to scan archives.

Im not sure if it crashes in the same place, i will have to run it again.

However, it completly locks the pc but the hard drive light remains on, but i cannot move the mouse etc so i have to switch it off at the mains.

On the report all files report as ok apart from the ones at the end which ive listed below

command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data11.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data12.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data13.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data14.cab
  • is OK

command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data2.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data3.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data4.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data5.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data6.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data7.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)
command & conquer the first decade\mir-cnctfd.mdf\data8.cab [E] The file is a decompression bomb. (42110)

Hope there's a solution as i really like this software

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 06:21:54 PM »
The problem lies when i check the box to scan archives.
Do you mean freezing?

On the report all files report as ok apart from the ones at the end which ive listed below
The file is a decompression bomb.
Decompression bomb is a file that may be rather small, but decompresses to an enormous amount of data (when processed as a packed archive). Such file are not malicious per se, but they may block an antivirus program when it tries to scan them.
This kind of files is rather hard to detect (and avoid) precisely - so, it is possible that there are some false alarms. It's not a big problem in this case, however - the "decompression bomb" announcement actually means something like "The file has a very high, maybe even suspicious, compression ratio and the AV is not going to scan the archive content".

I don't think this is related to the crash...
I'd suggest to ignore these files.
But you can change values into avast4.ini file to configure how avast should work with these files.
Click 'Settings' in my signature for more info  ;)

Please check the folder <avast>\data\log
Are there any files called unpXXXX there  (where XXXX is a random number)?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast.com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).

yogitree

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »
Yes the PC freezes completely. Nothing responds. Ive tried leaving it for a few hours but it still wasnt responsive.

There are no files called unpXXXX

The files i have are:
AshWebSv.ws
aswMaiSv.log
aswMaiSv.ori
Notice.log
nshield.log
Setup.log

I will try scanning again and see if it crashes in the same place.

Thanks for all your help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 10:30:46 PM »
Which firewall are you using?
Did you install any other antivirus in this computer in the past? Which one? How did you uninstall it?
Is there any other security program in your computer (antispyware, etc.)?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:37:20 AM »
However, it completly locks the pc but the hard drive light remains on, but i cannot move the mouse etc so i have to switch it off at the mains.

It probably is a hardware problem (either because of faulty hardware, or overheating - could be CPU, RAM, HDD). Please check the cooling of your computer, run memtest86 for a while, and also try a thorough check (i.e. including surface scan) of your disk.