Author Topic: Unable to remove Trojan  (Read 3523 times)

coycarp

Unable to remove Trojan
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »
Being new to computing I am using a computer which has the Windows ME operating system insalled. (It was a hand me down!!) During checking I scanned my system with Avast 4.8.  The scan shows my computer is infected with a Trojan named; "Win32:StartPage-315 [trj]".  I have tried removing it BUT it refuses to be deleted.  I have also run "HijackThis" programme BUT once  again it refuses to go, please can ayone help me to get rid of this Trojan fle.

Many thanks, Carol.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unable to remove Trojan
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
Try starting in safe mode, http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml and run an avast scan (using the avast desktop icon) or the ashAvast.exe file in the avast4 folder.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 03:47:09 PM »
I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. You can try DrWeb CureIT!.
4. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than. Not sure if they are compatible with Windows Me.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
Remember Tech this is winME OS and many of the suggested tools may not work with winME.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
Remember Tech this is winME OS and many of the suggested tools may not work with winME.

Not sure if they are compatible with Windows Me.
The best things in life are free.

wyrmrider

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »
Windows 98-ME
SuperAntispy, spyware terminator, Spybot Search and destroy, A-Squared YES
Malware Bytes Anti Malware and Rogue Remover NO

SpywareBlaster yes
Windows Advanced care I do not think so- will check
HP and MVPS hosts yes

antirootkit TBD

System Safety Monitor, Win Patrol yes
AVAST yes

Reasonable plan of action here- follow all the links in the tree and branch to Windows 98
(some of the links are not W98)
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407