Author Topic: avast 5.0.677 free in windows xp sp2  (Read 21048 times)

caki

avast 5.0.677 free in windows xp sp2
« on: September 10, 2010, 08:46:58 PM »
The problem as with the previous version of avast slow display the main menu, when I click on the avast icon on the desktop to the opportunity to wait 30 sec. or more while the control window appears, sometimes going to block or tray icon disappears, avast regularly update and use the latest version of avast free antivirus 5.0.677, I did repair avast but it did not solve the problem, the same happens and I have previously version of Avast, I have a 1.6 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM, all other installed programs work well, only avast slow to respond, I hope you will fix these problems, greetings from your users in SERBIAN.

Gargamel360

Re: avast 5.0.677 free in windows xp sp2
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
Might help to update your OS.

Maybe.

Just a thought.

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:01:30 PM »
Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ended on July 13, 2010:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/default.aspx

XP SP3 provides many performance improvements and MANY Critical Updates.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »
Here's a link to download the SP3 standalone installer.
It can be quite big.
There will be a lot of patches to download once this is installed. A couple of reboots might be required. Certainly at least one.

PS 512 is not a lot of RAM to run XP in todays typical software environment. You'll need to be a little attentive to what programs you allow to start with Windows, and maybe remove some and replace them with lower-resource replacements. Adobe acrobat is an example.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:01:30 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

caki

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
I am doing update xp sp2 version and now I have xp sp3 version but it still remains a problem with avast same problem occurs as well as on the previous version of XP, which means that it is not a problem to the windows, but the Avast has a problem with slow response when I click avast icon I wait for 2 minutes. avast out to the main menu, but with the beginning of the post in detail to explain the problem again I repeat, please solve this problem.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:54:39 AM »
I have a 1.6 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM
More RAM may help.

Uninstall programs or software that you do not need or use.  Put exe. files and pictures on removable media or USB/flash drives to save memory on your machine.

Clean out your machine with CCleaner.  It is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds - 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  This will give you more memory as well.

Defrag your machine periodically after cleaning your machine, and especially after installing or uninstalling software.  Remember you need to reboot after you install or uninstall software.

See what you have in Start Up.  If there are things in there that you do not need, disable them.  This will speed up Avast starting up when you boot the machine.

And keep your current software up to date to maximize your security.  As was pointed out, this includes upgrading to SP3.  But try the above first to give you more memory and speed things up.  But don't wait long to install SP3 because this allows security holes in your machine.

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:28:21 PM »
I have a 1.6 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM
More RAM may help.
+1

I upgraded my XP Pro system to 1.5GB RAM and now it works with avast! very well.

@ caki

Make sure you set avast! to load after other services in Settings then Troubleshooting and also disable Use special graphics effects in Basic.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »
Do you have internet connection when this slow opening of gui occurs, if my signal drop's out for some reason like microwave is on or some other reason it takes ages for the gui to open.

caki

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:03:58 PM »
I turned off all unnecessary programs from startup, and I have 512 MB RAM, free is always 230 to 270 MB ram I have no problems with other programs all work well and quickly open your main menu, only Avast has a slow response to a click, it is not a problem in the first version of avast 5v, later versions of avast free 5 had the problems and the last version.

I set the link with pictures of my pc startup
and installed programs on my pc
so now you can see everything.

http://img820.imageshack.us/f/screenshot18hl.jpg/
http://img690.imageshack.us/f/screenshot17u.jpg/

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
Un-install IOBit Security 360.

caki

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »
IObit 360 does not run at startup, it just installed the program and used for cleaning, avast if something fails, it happens sometimes that avast does not notice any adware or something else.

Again I say only Avast has a slow response to the main menu, any other installed program has no such problems.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »
To try and ease the startup try this

Download Startup Control Panel here
Instal and you will find a startup icon in the control panel - run this
  • In the HKLM tab, you may disable (be careful --> "disable") all the entries except your security software 
  • In the HKCU tab, you may disable all entries.
  • In the StartUp tab, you may disable all entries.
Note : if you notice that some programs no longer run, you can enable them again by running Startup Control Panel, selecting the entry and choosing Run Now.
If you are in doubt with something, don't hesitate to ask ;)

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »
In addition to what Essexboy suggested, YoKenny is correct in having you uninstall IObit 360.  CCleaner Slim version is much lighter than IObit Security 360 and does a much better job.  If you want an on-demand scanner that is light as a back up for Avast, I suggest Malwarebytes' Antimalware (MBAM).  Many of us use it with no conflicts with Avast.

caki

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 01:19:58 AM »
SAFE SURF suggest-Malwarebytes' antimalware (MBAM). Many of us use it with no conflicts with Avast.

I understand what you propose to me, but IObit 360 in free version has broswera provides protection and some protection,
Malwarebytes' antimalware (MBAM) in the free version does not have any protection function, but deletion of malware.

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 01:45:29 AM »
You can always get the MBAM Pro for resident protection if that is what you are looking for.  It is a one life-time fee and well worth it.