Author Topic: How to turn Avast off from startup  (Read 9879 times)

Nerv_001

How to turn Avast off from startup
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »
Trying to figure out how to turn avast off when starting it up my pc. Also just how to turn off the whole program when I want it off. I tried to disable the disable the self defense module but it turns right back on, go figure. Any help? Im running windows 7 and avast free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: How to turn Avast off from startup
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:15 PM »
It's not that kind of program; it is designed to start with Windows.
Once started it can be paused (disabled) for user-selected periods of time.

What version of Avast free are you using? 5.0.594 is the current one.

What are you wanting to achieve by doing this?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Nerv_001

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:54:34 AM »
not sure which version, the most recent im sure. I just want to be able to turn it off completely.

Govern

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:06:48 AM »
I want to turn it off too.  I have tried to stop it in startup but it just keeps re-adding itself.

The reason I want to turn it off is to test if it's been causing the long lag between booting the computer and when I can start actually doing something on it.  Some days it takes up to 45 minutes before I can start Firefox or actually do anything. This started at least a week ago and is driving me nuts.  It appears to be some kind of really big scan that virtually stops all activities.  I've run all virus, adware etc. checkers and my computer is clean.

Windows XP SP3  
500Mb RAM (yes I know it's not much these days  :) )
Avast version 5.0.594

I don't want to have to uninstall the program if I can avoid it.  I have been happy since changing to avast a year or three ago but I can't keep going on like this and I'm convinced it's avast that's causing the problem.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:08:28 AM by Govern »

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
@ Govern,

You can delay Avast loading on your machine on boot up by doing the following:

Open the Avast GUI > Settings > Troubleshooting > click the last box "Load Avast services only after loading other system services"

Some days it takes up to 45 minutes before I can start Firefox or actually do anything. This started at least a week ago and is driving me nuts.
Keep in mind that you may have other things loading at Start Up and you should see what they are. 

What other security software do you have on this machine?  What is your firewall?  Usually a firewall will load first.  Often times you may have other things that you don't need loading at Start up that you can delete to speed things up. 

I would not advise you to go out on the Internet without AV protection.  Taking 45 minutes for Avast to load tells me something else is going on.  You already know that RAM is a problem, and I strongly urge you to add some as this may fix your problem. 

Adware is outdated, and you really should uninstall it and install MBAM which is lighter and more accurate.  I'd like you to check your system for malware with MBAM and an Avast Boot-time scan as this could be causing problems.

Check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »
Nerv_001
You pretty much can't. Oncew Windows has started, you can disable it, up to a maximum period of ''until Windows shuts down". The only other option is to uninstall it (not recommended.)

There is also a silent/gaming mode available, but if you advise why you want to be able to turn it off, we might be able to better advise suitable options.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Govern

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Safesurf.

I'm using ZoneAlarm for a firewall.  Here is the result from Malwarebyte:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4408

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

9/08/2010 4:02:28 PM
mbam-log-2010-08-09 (16-02-28).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 216980
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 17 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WakeNet (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Ron\Application Data\AD ON Multimedia\eBay Shortcuts\eBayShortcuts.exe (Adware.ADON) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:18:54 AM »
OK...MBAM did it's thing and quarantined some items.  Now run an Avast boot-time scan.  After the scan, check the results and post back.  NOTE:  it will take a while for the scan to run.

Govern

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
OK...MBAM did it's thing and quarantined some items.  Now run an Avast boot-time scan.  After the scan, check the results and post back.  NOTE:  it will take a while for the scan to run.

It's taken one hour just to do 4% so I'm going to have leave doing that for a day or two.  I will come back as soon as I've been able to run the boot-time scan.

Thanks so far.  You help is very much appreciated.

Govern

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:45 AM »
Here's the result of the boot scan which took 3 3/4 hours:

08/10/2010 07:16
Scan of all local drives

File D:\RECOVER\FACTO001.GHS|>dbnetlib.dll Error 42127 {CAB archive is corrupted.}
Number of searched folders: 10235
Number of tested files: 754527
Number of infected files: 0

This morning it took 37 minutes after turning on the computer (prior to  the boot scan) before the scanning or whatever is happening on the drive finished and I could use the computer.  I should point out that this occurrence only happens when I turn th computer on for the first time each day - I can turn it off or reboot as many times as I like and I'll be able to use the computer as soon as booting is finished.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »
Govern,

1. You can uninstall Adware now that you have MBAM.  Just remember to always update MBAM prior to doing a scan

2. Do you have any other security software on your machine previously (antivirus, firewall, other software)?

3. The Avast boot scan found a problem.  You may have more going on.  I'd like you to run an OTL log and then I will refer you to one of our malware experts.  Here are the instructions on downloading OTL and how to run it:

OTL is currently our primary tool for searching key areas of the registry and other system locations for the telltale signs of malware. It generates a comprehensive log, and offers an initial diagnosis.

Important note: HijackThis has been replaced by OTL in this guide. Since being acquired by TrendMicro, HijackThis has not been regularly updated. Many infections are now able to hide partly, or completely from a HijackThis scan. It includes all the scan locations of HijackThis and more. It's not only a more comprehensive scan tool, but also offers more powerful removal features.

Download OTL to your Desktop

·   Double click on the icon to run it.  Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
·   Check the box that says Scan All Users
·   Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
drivers32
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\*.wt
%systemroot%\system32\*.ruy
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.ini2
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.exe
%systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.*
%systemroot%\REPAIR\*.bak1
%systemroot%\REPAIR\*.ini
%systemroot%\system32\*.jpg
%systemroot%\*.jpg
%systemroot%\*.png
%systemroot%\*.scr
%systemroot%\*._sy
%APPDATA%\Adobe\Update\*.*
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Favorites\*.*
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\*.*
%PROGRAMFILES%\*.*
%APPDATA%\Update\*.*
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
CREATERESTOREPOINT
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

·   Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
o   When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL (desktop).
o   Post both logs as an ATTACHMENT to your next post (“Additional Options” > Attach) in post window.

The following is a guideline written by Essexboy on Avast…Thank you!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:10:17 AM »
3. The Avast boot scan found a problem.  You may have more going on.  I'd like you to run an OTL log and then I will refer you to one of our malware experts.  Here are the instructions on downloading OTL and how to run it:

Yeah, but the problem was within a ghost image of the factory restore image...  I highly doubt (virus / malware/ or otherwise) that has anything to do with what's going on with this computer.

In all seriousness, 37 mins to boot prior to the boot scan is absolutely ridiculous regardless of how much RAM this system has.

I smell a hard drive failing.

Govern, do you have any idea of what brand of hard drive you have installed in this computer?  If not, please try to find out by going into the device manager and tell us what is under "Disk Drives".  That way we can figure out what brand it is and give you a link to a utility to test it out.

Usually, when your computer goes completely slow (in accessing or running anything and everything) it's usually the hard drive failing.  We might be able to catch it before it completely dies and save your data before it does.

Then again, you could have WAY too much stuff running on startup, but that wouldn't affect boot times.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Govern

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
Sorry about the delay in replying: I've been trying all sorts of things today.  I uninstalled avast and replaced it with avg which made things worse - the scanning on the drive and being locked out of the system was almost constant.  I don't think avg runs on older low spec laptops like mine.  I have avast back on again.  I also uninstalled lots of programs and now have 2/3 (40gbs) of my hard drive empty.

In answer to your question my drive is 60gb WDC WD800VE-00KWT0.   I've also backed it up in case it's failing although I haven't noticed any symptoms.  My laptop is about 3 years old now.

On Friday if I get the chance I'm going to have the RAM upgraded from 512mb to 2gbs.  I kind of feel that perhaps a lite version is needed for people like me who can't afford to update their hardware as often as they like.  I'm sure there are quite few features that don't really need.

Once again I really appreciate the help you guys have given me and I'll keep you updated.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »
Give this utility a try and see if it shows anything.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD800VE-00KWT0&x=11&y=9

Select the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)" and use a CD Burning software like: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a blank CD.

Then, boot off of the CD and run the extended test.

You can also try the the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows", but I prefer to make sure that the drive isn't in use while testing.

This site could help you or others find diagnostic tools for all types of hard drives:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If the hard drive is ok, then the RAM should help.  If not, it probably won't help a thing until you get that drive replaced.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Govern

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 10:53:02 PM »
I had the ram upgraded to 2gbs yesterday and I'm really happy to let you know that this morning I could use the computer as soon as the startup jobs had loaded.  In other words in just a few minutes.

The difference in the speed of the laptop is amazing.  I wish I had done the upgrade ages ago.

Thanks everyone once again for your help.  Hope you all have a good weekend.

Cheers.