Author Topic: Disable avast  (Read 15859 times)

bexar656

Disable avast
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:58:54 AM »
I've been trying to install a backup program, (Carbonite) unsuccessfully and it's tech support tells me to disable any antivirus, or anti-spyware programs and firewall.  I'm running avast, super Antispyware, Malware anti malware and I can't find how to disable any of them. I also can't locate my windows firewall. Can anyone help me with this.

cinchez

Re: Disable avast
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
To disable avast!'s shields, right click the avast! icon in the system tray, then shields control, pick one for ur needs^^

-AnimeLover^^

anjandavid

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »
I've been trying to install a backup program, (Carbonate) unsuccessfully and it's tech support tells me to disable any antivirus, or anticipatory programs and firewall.  I'm running avast, super Antispyware, Malware anti Malawi and I can't find how to disable any of them. I also can't locate my windows firewall. Can anyone help me with this.

If you want to disable SAS and MBAM then open MBAM and go protection>general setting(under the window)>Start with window(look tick mark there,disable tick mark)

SAS disable open SAS>preference>Start up option(look 4 option their and all are ticked,then first 3 option disable tick mark)

then rebooting.

Windows firewall you can get control panel>windows firewall>off

Sorry.. English is bad.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:39:40 AM by anjandavid »

bexar656

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
Thanks to both and your english is fine.

bexar656

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 06:11:29 AM »
I needed to disable avast temporaraly in order to install a program. I right clicked on the icon in the systray and then clicked on stop provider. Then to turn it back on I went back to the icon and the resume provider is grayed out. Clicking on the red shield in systray it brings up the security center and it says that my antivirus is off and it recommends I turn it back on. I can't find anyway to turn it back on. Please help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
Personally I would want to know why that program feels it necessary to disable your AV, this is such a prehistoric concept. I would want to know what it does that might be considered malicious by an AV, effectively I would want to know what it has to hide.

I don't disable avast to install programs as this is the very time that I would say your defences should be up and not have your virtual security trousers round your ankles.

I take it that you are using avast 4,8 ?
If so, Left click the avast icon, (if there is a Details...>> button click that) now select the Standard Shield provider and click Start.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bexar656

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
I did what you said and after clicking Start it started a scan and has now been running for 9 hours and still going. How long do you think it will run.

bexar656

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
Next morning. The scan has now been running for 19 hours. Do I still leave it running?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
I did what you said and after clicking Start it started a scan and has now been running for 9 hours and still going. How long do you think it will run.

I haven't got the slightest idea as I know nothing about your system specification (CPU, RAM) the type of scan you ran, the area set to scan, nor the amount of data on your hard disk.

However, what I suggested shouldn't initiate a scan, all that does it turn on the Standard Shield on-access scanner and that only scan if your system is accessing files. So I really don't know what it is that you are doing ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bexar656

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
I didn't initiate the scan. It just started itself after I clicked Start. Start is now grayed out and the scan is still running. I guess I'll just stop it and see what happens. Also. There was a red shield in my systray and if I clicked on it, it brought up a box that said my firewall and antivirus and something else were on or off. That shield is no longer there. Is there some other way that I can get to look at that again to see if it says that the antivirus is on? Thanks

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
A bit of a guess here, but are you referring to the run timer for the shields?

If you are it is simply telling you how long the shield has been running for...

bexar656

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
Yes Run Time. But it is also changing Scanned Count which is now at 12281.

bexar656

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 06:01:47 PM »
Well I stopped it and now I get the red shield I mentioned but clicking on it it says that my antivirus is not on. I can't figure how to turn it back on. Resume Provider is grayed out. I sure can use some help with this.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
It is actually the scanning engine of avast! that you are turning off, that is why you are getting the security center alerts.

I think you are misinterpreting what the provider is actually doing, it scans files as and when they are opened/modified so that is why the scanned count is increasing - because you are using your pc :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_protection

To turn it back on (you need to) follow DavidR's instructions from above:
Quote from: DavidR
If so, Left click the avast icon, (if there is a Details...>> button click that) now select the Standard Shield provider and click Start.

-Scott-

bexar656

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »
Well here's the latest. I went back to what David R told me and clicked on start and then closed it. I don't get the red shield anymore so I can't tell if it is still saying that my antivirus is off. But I ran a regular scan and it went through the whole thing and said no virus detected. I guess that means that avast is on and doing it's job. But even before when I was being told that the antivirus is off it would still run a scan so at this point I don't know if I have virus protection or not. Isn't there somewhere in avast that it should say it's on or it's off?