Author Topic: Avast problems with Windows XP  (Read 3274 times)

heathbug

Avast problems with Windows XP
« on: June 16, 2007, 05:28:30 AM »
 >:( I installed Avast because a friend recommended it, and because the reviews made it sound so great.  I'm using an HP laptop, 5280, running Firefox, and Windows XP v. 2  .  I first deleted AVG in its entirety.  Then, I went through the installation instructions (which were very complicated, to say the least).  After I got the two blue balls in my system tray, and I thought everything was going peachy, I noticed that I could not move the icons (for other programs) with the mouse and cursor.  Then, I was going into my movie making software (Pinnacle, v. #8), and it would not allow me to drag the clips of the rough videotape download into the storyboard, or anywhere.  I thought this might be due to Avast, perchance, so I decided to remove it and see what happened.  I went to the "Add and Remove" programs selection in the control panel, found Avast, clicked on the Change/Remove button, and nothing happened.  (Well, the blue bar indicating which program is being worked on flashed to white and then went immediately back to blue).  I tried clicking the Remove button several times, and nothing worked; no sign of the program being removed.  I then started to panic. "Hmmm." I thought to myself.  "I wonder if Windows Restore will get rid of Avast if I go back to yesterday."  I tried it, restoring the system to the previous day, and voila!! Avast was gone.  I went to my desktop, and the icons now moved freely with the cursor.  I opened Pinnacle, and the video clips could now be moved into the storyboard, as wanted!!

Needless to say, I then reinstalled AVG, and, unless someone can come up with a powerful reason to try Avast again, I will recoil from it like a hot flame.

Everyone else, be forewarned!! >:( >:(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 05:44:45 AM by heathbug »

CharleyO

Re: Avast problems with Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 06:07:40 AM »

Perhaps you should have come here and asked for help. Avast is not complicated to install. So, I have to ask where did you get your copy of avast?    ???

heathbug

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 10:39:06 PM »
Downloaded it from the Avast website, via CNET. And, I didn't come here first because I didn't know this forum existed, and I was too engaged in getting my computer to work as it did before loading Avast.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 10:46:46 PM by heathbug »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:11:17 AM »
I first deleted AVG in its entirety.
Deleted or uninstalled? How did you uninstall?

I went to the "Add and Remove" programs selection in the control panel, found Avast, clicked on the Change/Remove button, and nothing happened.
Bad installation, by the symptoms turns into bad uninstallation...

I then started to panic.
No need for that... really.

"I wonder if Windows Restore will get rid of Avast if I go back to yesterday."  I tried it, restoring the system to the previous day, and voila!! Avast was gone.
I won't be so sure. Maybe you should use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.

Needless to say, I then reinstalled AVG, and, unless someone can come up with a powerful reason to try Avast again, I will recoil from it like a hot flame.
I have tons of reasons to give up on AVG...
Bad detection rate, poor update method/system, very poor configurability, etc. etc.
But, of course, it's just my opinion.
The best things in life are free.