Author Topic: Avast Tech Support Scam  (Read 5141 times)

WASBON

Avast Tech Support Scam
« on: October 08, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
Called the tech support # and a rep through IYOGI wanted to access my laptop via the Internet to help me install Avast on another unit. I had installed Avast on two units and wanted to put on a third. I feel I was scammed as person told me my PC was infected and needed serious work. There had been nothing wrong. When I disconnected and re-booted my PC will only boot in safe mode. Help!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Tech Support Scam
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
Adam Riley, riley (at) avast (dot) com Avast Third-party Support Manager, has requested info about iYogi, so if you have time to recount your experience (copy and paste your post, etc.), give the link to this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dansorin

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »
reading so many complaints about Iyogi support, I am really mystified why avast keeps collaborating with such "professionals".
(on a positive note, I never needed support).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
I hate seeing this kind of thing, whilst this may be a small percentage of all of those going to iYogi and experiencing this hard sell, if it is one, it is one too many. This practice needs to be stopped and anyone found using it sacked. Either that or iYogi should be terminated.

For me the first port of call should be the forums, as there is no vested interest (not on commission/bonus, etc.) other than to help other avast users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »
See this video slow does not mean a virus ----scare tactics.
Also you will notice all the reviews are two months ago, by their staff, they won’t let you post bad comments. & they seem to be Indian lmfao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-qXAKjrfxM

I wonder what would happen if big companies like Symantec pulled these kind of stunts

iyogi can’t stop these type of postings & comments  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bzyTeJuSrI

I hope iyogi will be on the UK watchdog & expose them for what they are, scammers.
They are giving Avast a bad name.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »
Avast is a money pit and I am sorry to say I will be leaving after years of being a paying customer.
The last time I purchased service from them I was unable to install my registery key until after their hired guns tried to suck a couple of hundred more dollars out of me.
Now that my service has less than a month to go, I get pestering messages that pop up at least ten times a day to renew.
My service tech found over a dozen trojan horses in my system a couple of months ago. What the heck is that?
I have had it with these people and their out dated junkie service.

BEWARE ALL!
Sorry but I don't agree with you :)
It is light, fast and effective :P