Author Topic: Latest Avast causes computer problems  (Read 4828 times)

djw

Latest Avast causes computer problems
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »
I'm sorry to say that ever since I updated my Avast free home edition my computer has been throwing up all manner of problems. Firstly it was an audio issue, I'd get endless messages from my Realtek audio about unplugged jacks, I had to disable that, then it was audio stuttering, now its mouse lag and computer freezes. This all started immediately after updating Avast. Needless to say avast has been replaced on my system now but I still have the problems it left me with. How do I completely remove all traces of Avast from my system and is there any evidence that Avast is aware of these problems?
I'm running Windows XP 64 bit.
I'm hoping Avast has done some investigation on this, I really liked it when I was running the old version, but the new version has left me worse off. Anybody having the same problem?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Latest Avast causes computer problems
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »
If you uninstalled avast! in the ordinary way (i.e. using Control Panel / Add/Remove programs) and rebooted your machine afterwards, I don't think there's anything left from avast!.
You can run the standalone uninstall utility, just to be sure, but if nothing changes, then the problem is most likely not connected to avast!.

djw

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
I have searched and found other descriptions of this same problem on other forums, the problem was definitely caused by the new version of Avast without a doubt.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
Well, I certainly doubt that.
What are those descriptions of the same problem elsewhere? (a few examples / links, please)

djw

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
I haven't found the exact same reports, just earlier ones from January, but I've discovered that everything is okay as long as I turn off the firewall and disconnect from the internet. Not great but at least I can get work done. So I wont spend anymore time searching online for solutions, I'll pay someone to come and fix what ever has happened. If it's not Avast then it's something to do with the firewall and internet connection. I would like to get back to using Avast at some point but right now I just need a working computer. 

djw

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
If no one else is experiencing these problems then I can't for sure blame it on Avast, perhaps something else happened. I am officially saying that it isn't Avast. However I did do an uninstall and I still have an empty folder in my C drive for Alwil software, should this have been removed? Do I have to use the avast remove tool in safe mode as some have mentioned? Can I just delete the file? I plan to reinstall Avast later if I get my system running normally.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »

Welcome to the forums, djw   :)

It would be best to use the standalone uninstall utility mentioned above by Igor.
Follow the directions listed on the page at the link.