Author Topic: Services.exe infected, C:\Windows\Installer contains numerous viruses  (Read 9150 times)

dominion500

Hi everyone!  Need some help here...

I decided to install avast! as a new antivirus program after getting frustrated with AVG today.  Once I did, I let it restart my computer and perform a boot scan; it deleted a lot of files throughout my computer, notably under C:\Windows.  Once I started avast! again, I started getting messages every 3-5 messages notifying me that avast! had blocked a threat under C:\Windows\Installer; the files included 80000032.@ (Win32:Downloader-PKU Trojan), 000000cb.@, 00000004 (Win32:Malware-Gen), etc.  Unfortunately, I don't know the directory that these files appeared under in C:\Windows\Installer, but I do know all of them appeared under Installer.  The process associated with the blocked threat every time has been C:\Windows\System32\services.exe.  I can't seem to get rid of these viruses.  Can anyone help?  I'm new here, so I'm not entirely sure how I should start.  I'm running MBAM right now, will post log when done.

dominion500

Log posted here.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.07.30.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Kevin Zhang :: LENOVO-G570 [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

7/29/2012 8:08:04 PM
mbam-log-2012-07-29 (20-08-04).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 214861
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 4
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\Local Settings\Application Data\MossySkySA (Adware.HotBar.MS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\Local Settings\Application Data\MossySkySA\bin (Adware.HotBar.MS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\Local Settings\Application Data\MossySkySA\bin\2.0.18.0 (Adware.HotBar.MS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\Local Settings\Application Data\MossySkySA\data (Adware.HotBar.MS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Detected: 4
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8NDIGBHD\SoftonicDownloader_for_slender.exe (PUP.ToolbarDownloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Installer\{8876cb45-3f37-576e-ef56-aab6df8e647e}\U\00000008.@ (Trojan.Dropper.BCMiner) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\Local Settings\Application Data\MossySkySA\bin\2.0.18.0\copyright.txt (Adware.HotBar.MS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\Local Settings\Application Data\MossySkySA\data\MossySkySA.dat (Adware.HotBar.MS) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

dominion500

OTL.txt

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
do you also have the aswMBR log?

dominion500

I'm running aswMBR right now, but it seems to be taking unusually long to scan my computer.  I'll post the log as soon as it's done.

dominion500

aswMBR.txt

argus

Hello  dominion500

Re-run OTL.exe.

• Copy and paste the following text written inside of the quote box into the Custom Scans/Fixes box.

Code: [Select]
:OTL
[2012/06/30 17:50:48 | 000,003,769 | ---- | M] () -- C:\Program Files (x86)\mozilla firefox\searchplugins\avg-secure-search.xml
CHR - homepage: http://isearch.avg.com/?cid={CD257E06-8D7A-4AE7-8C7D-688B798AE861}&mid=782c69ee372c47d1ae686939b2fa24a6-21313ef3353bc23679386e67598dad91f1121d06&lang=en&ds=tt014&pr=sa&d=2012-06-30 17:50:57&v=11.1.0.12&sap=hp
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.

:files
C:\windows\Installer\{8876cb45-3f37-576e-ef56-aab6df8e647e}
C:\Users\Kevin Zhang\AppData\Local\{8876cb45-3f37-576e-ef56-aab6df8e647e}
C:\windows\assembly\GAC_32\Desktop.ini
C:\windows\assembly\GAC_64\Desktop.ini
ipconfig /flushdns /c

:commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
  • Let the program run unhindered; it will reboot the system when it is done and open notepad with logreport. Attach here that logreport.
Step2.

> Download ComboFix from here and save it to your Desktop.
If you are unsure how ComboFix works please read this guide carefully.
note: ComboFix must be downloaded to your Desktop.

> Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program.
If you are unsure how to do this please read this Instruction.

> Run ComboFix. Click on I Agree!
ComboFix will check if there is a newer version of ComboFix available.
Click Yes if prompted to download.

ComboFix will display DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY ON SOFTWARE.
Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue.

If Recovery Console is not installed, ComboFix will offer download & installation.
Click Yes to allow ComboFix to install Recovery Console.
Note:Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running.

> When the tool is finished, it will produce a log report for you. (typical location: C:\ComboFix.txt )
  Attach log reports ( ComboFix.txt) back to topic.

dominion500

OTL.txt
ComboFix.txt

argus

Good job.

It is necessary to uninstall the ComboFix :
  • Click Start (or ) then Run.

On Windows7 or Vista you may use Start Search field if Run is not available.

• In the line of text type in (Copy) the following:
Code: [Select]
ComboFix /Uninstall
    Note that there is a space between " ComboFix " and " /Uninstall " .

• then click OK (or press Enter ).
    Wait for the uninstall process is complete.

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.

dominion500

Re: Services.exe infected, C:\Windows\Installer contains numerous viruses
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:25:07 AM »
    It seems to have been fixed now, I'm not getting any notifications.  Thanks for your help!

dominion500

Re: Services.exe infected, C:\Windows\Installer contains numerous viruses
    « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
    I've also uninstalled ComboFix and run Cleanup on OTL.exe.  Thanks again!  Is there anything else I should do?