Author Topic: Can avast! scan pop3/smtp gmail in Outlook Express 6 ?  (Read 6735 times)

JohnnyBob

Can avast! scan pop3/smtp gmail in Outlook Express 6 ?
« on: February 21, 2005, 09:49:21 PM »
Here's how gmail accounts are setup in Outlook Express 6:
--the gmail servers are pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com
--smtp requires authentication
--smtp uses port 465 (SSL)
--pop3 uses port 995 (SSL)

With that setup Outlook Express can read pop3 gmail, and send mail via gmail's smtp. However apparently it isn't scanned by avast! because it doesn't insert the usual header lines into the email, for example:
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0508-0, 02/21/2005), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

So, is there any way to set up avast! to scan pop3/smtp gmail in OE6? If not I'd like to push this onto the wish list for a future version of avast! It's getting fairly important as gmail expands, while hotmail contracts... :)

JB

[P.S. The new avast! 4.6.603 version installed seamlessly for me this morning and is working perfectly so far: Windows XP Home (SP2), IE6/OE6 for browser mail & news.]

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Can avast! scan pop3/smtp gmail in Outlook Express 6 ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »
Secured connections like SSL and TLS cannot be scanned by any antivirus.
Exception is MS Outlook (part of Office package) which supports SSL/TLS checking through special avast! MS Outlook\Exchange provider.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

sded

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:29:06 PM »
I used the instructions in the thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to get SSL email to work on POP3 on another mail system; author says it works with gmail on both POP3 and SMTP.    :)

maxenzo2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
Exception is MS Outlook (part of Office package) which supports SSL/TLS checking through special avast! MS Outlook\Exchange provider.
to bad thats not true.nod32 scans the emails.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »
to bad thats not true.nod32 scans the emails.
after decryption....

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78541.0

sded

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 01:07:55 AM »
You are certainly digging through the ancient archives to find something to post a response to.  Avast! in its recent incarnations handles SSL/TLS email without the use of auxiliary programs like Stunnel-probably much like Nod32 does it.  Do you have a problem we can help you with, a comment on the latest Avast!, or are you just a Troll?

maxenzo2

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:38:51 AM »
You are certainly digging through the ancient archives to find something to post a response to.  Avast! in its recent incarnations handles SSL/TLS email without the use of auxiliary programs like Stunnel-probably much like Nod32 does it.  Do you have a problem we can help you with, a comment on the latest Avast!, or are you just a Troll?
first i was trying to find a way to fix it on the lattest version of avast using google for the same problems,and i have found this,since the current version 6 comes up with the same windows saying that avast detected an ssl/tls connection and we should disable it for avast to scan it,so no the current avast doesnt do it like nod32.and i was correcting a false statment so nobody steps on it,at least i knew it wasnt true,now everybody can know that.if you didnt liked me to correct it to bad,but chillout and stop calling stuff to people,and come up with false acusations next time.

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:45:12 AM »
I use Outlook Express and it retrieves and scans gmail just fine. You have to disable the SSL encryption however in the gmail account settings. Avast uses it's own SSL encryption methods so you don't lose any security whatsoever. The advanced tab should look like this picture.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:50:42 AM by Dch48 »