Author Topic: Dodging Bullet message: Trojan Horse  (Read 4553 times)

MatteoB

Dodging Bullet message: Trojan Horse
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
Sorry to post this but I have been looking on the forum here and the answers with people being asked to post logs and stuff seem complicated. When you get the "Avast stopped your computer from crashing" does that mean you have been infected or the system has prevented a trojan from your system. It is worded as so you have actually been infected. Sorry for the dumb question but not an expert.

iroc9555

Re: Dodging Bullet message: Trojan Horse
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »
Just keep an eye on your sys. If not more pop up alerts, most surely you are OK.

MatteoB

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:50 AM »
I have done a full malwarebytes (free) scan and a full avast scan and it says it's ok. I hope the software (avast ) is protecting my ass as i have the paid version :) It was just a fairly average site but can never be too careful I guess.

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
I have done a full malwarebytes (free) scan and a full avast scan and it says it's ok. I hope the software (avast ) is protecting my ass as i have the paid version :) It was just a fairly average site but can never be too careful I guess.

Seems Ok then.

Free or paid you always get the same protection. Paid Avast! just adds some extra features. Next time If you can, pin the alert and make a screenshot to have it in case someone in the forums ask for it.

Regards.

MatteoB

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:43 AM »
Well it said that site has been blocked so guess the avast sorted it. I guess that is it doing its job. It said it blocked the site so obviously  did it's job but it is the "why did you get a virus" bit that confused me in the more details rather than why did you "nearly" get a virus :)

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:03:15 AM »
Well in my last 30 days security report I got 11 such sites that avast! stopped. I am still clean. Of course no AV is 100 % secure So like I said keep and eye on your sys. if not more alerts, you are OK.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »
@ MatteoB,

If you're still concerned, run an Avast Full scan.  If anything comes up, then run a Boot-time scan and report back to us.  Having MBAM as a back-up is also very good at layering your security.

Should you get something like this again, a screen shot would be best.  You can also right-click the Avast ball on the bottom toolbar that says "Show latest Popup Message" as long as you haven't rebooted the machine and it will tell you what it said.

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:24 PM »
If you're still concerned, run an Avast Full scan.  If anything comes up, then run a Boot-time scan and report back to us.  Having MBAM as a back-up is also very good at layering your security.

Hi Safesurf and welcome back.

I am afraid he already did both of your suggestions. I also adviced him to take a screenshot of the alert next time.

I have done a full malwarebytes (free) scan and a full avast scan and it says it's ok.
Next time If you can, pin the alert and make a screenshot to have it in case someone in the forums ask for it.