Author Topic: Infected post installation of Spanish KB4012598 and Avast Update  (Read 10459 times)

REDACTED

Re: Infected post installation of Spanish KB4012598 and Avast Update
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 11:30:39 PM »
Backup your data and perform a clean installation of the OS (and updates).

That bad, huh?

Just one last comment, in case it serves a purpose.

I did find my restore points in my Glary Utilities under the option to undo changes. See attached image file. Though, I'm not sure they work.

Should I still follow through with clean installation of the OS?
Once that's done will I be in the clear?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:32:21 PM by msl_mia »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 11:33:08 PM »
Looking at the problems you are having, I would say go for the clean install.
It won't hurt to have a nice and clean system again without crap etc that runs in the best (fastest) way possible ;)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 03:34:30 AM »
Plus, you'll have also backed up all personal files you want to save, right?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 07:45:49 AM »
Your OS (WinXP SP3) is damaged.  The best and most reliable way to repair the system is to make a clean install of the OS.  You can also try a Windows Repair All In One (http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html).  I have instructions on using this utility if you want to but a reinstall would be the fastest way to a reliable system.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 08:24:41 AM »
Your OS (WinXP SP3) is damaged.  The best and most reliable way to repair the system is to make a clean install of the OS.  You can also try a Windows Repair All In One (http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html).  I have instructions on using this utility if you want to but a reinstall would be the fastest way to a reliable system.

I'd appreciate  the instructions for the Windows Repair all in one, since I've never performed a Clean Install and I'm not quite sure which of the following 2 options available is the correct one:
1.- HP destroy Restore, which entails  formatting the HD. (Where would I get all the updates for all the software for XP versions?)
2.- HP Applications Restore.

Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »
Why not go for win 10 ? one day you have to

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »
Why not go for win 10 ? one day you have to
Some day, but not on this PC.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
Here are some steps for using WRAIO.  The only difference between the images shown here and what you will see on your system should be due to the program detects and adjusts itself to the OS it is being run on (XP SP3 in your case).  Stop and ask questions here if you need to.

Please download "Windows Repair - All in One" from here.  Please choose "Save file.." if you get options to open the file.   Once the download is complete, run the file and install the program on your system.  Please use the default settings for locations as it will help with log retrieval and fixing the registry should anything be needed.

Right click on the desktop shortcut for "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair" and select 'Run as administrator'.

The program will run a self check to make sure that all the correct files are in place for it to run and then it will load the program.  As you can see, there are many steps to take in using this program.  Mainly, the first few steps involve checking for proper Windows files and backing up the system as a precaution.

You can read the notes on the first screen but the important thing to do is click on "ReBoot to Safe Mode" and allow the system to restart itself.  Once the system is started in safe mode and you have logged in (using an administrative level account), restart the program and move onto the Step2 screen.

Please click on "Open Pre-Scan" to load a utility to verify some Windows resource / build files and settings.

Click on "Start Scan" and allow the routine to run.  You can see the status of the checks in the window.

When the routine is finished, it will report on any problems found and you can click on the appropriate repair button if needed.  Once this is done, you can close this window and click on Step3.

Click on the "Check" to see if a repair disk check routine needs to run.  A Command Prompt window will open and you can view the status of the routine.  If the routine finds that repairs need to be made, please select "Open Disk Check at Next Boot" and then click on the "Reboot To Safe Mode" button.  Once the routine(s) completes, please select Step4.

Please click on "Do It" to run a SFC /scannow routine.  If the routine makes any repairs, please reboot your system (again into Safe Mode).  If the routine does not make any repairs, please move onto Step5.

Once there, click on "Backup" under the 1. Registry Backup.  This will make a complete backup of the current registry which can be reloaded should anything go wrong with the repairs that are going to be made.  Next, click on the "Create" under 2. System Restore.  Once both of these backups are made, select Repairs.

I would suggest that you read the Tips For The Best Repairs Results.  Once this is done, click on "Open Repairs".

On this screen, uncheck All Repairs and then click (select) the following click the following: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 21, 23, 26, 27, 31 and 32.  The screen and options should look very much like the picture above.  Click "Start Repairs" and confirm that the program starts running the fixes.  This will take a while to run, so you can let it run unattended if you like.  Log files are being recorded as the repairs are being executed.  Once the repairs are finished, reboot your system (normal boot now) and tell me how it is running now.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 02:36:17 AM »
I'll give a try once I'm done backing up files and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »
Hi!

Finally finished as instructed and the only error message I've encountered has been the one attached. I hope the codes are enough since everything else is in Spanish.
Yes, the screens were quite different and I did not update to the most recent version, as I was unsure if I should. I also found that  even when I selected the start up in Safe Mode, when required, it didn't start up as such and I had to make use of F8.

I also encountered a slight problem with MS Office but, I hope that if need be, I can reinstall it.

Please advise if you need me to send the log files.

Thanks.