Author Topic: How to uninstall avast for Mac  (Read 189624 times)

ixav

How to uninstall avast for Mac
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:39:17 PM »
I need to uninstall avast for Mac (at least temporarly) - can anyone tell me how to do so since there are no uninstall option for the package?

Thanks!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: How to uninstall avast for Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »
I need to uninstall avast for Mac (at least temporarly) - can anyone tell me how to do so since there are no uninstall option for the package?

Thanks!

Hallo,
it's quite straightforward:

- quit the application and agent
- put the app icon in trash (You'll get rid of the app, daemon, supporting scripts etc.)

[
For those who need to do a bit deeper clean-up:
- also ~/Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast could be cleaned (here lives the most fresh VPS)
- also, /Library/Receipts/avast.pkg could be removed too (next installations will be considered as "install", not "update" then)
]

Regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

ixav

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »
Thanks for the prompt answer, I'll do that but just a hoppefully simple (and maybe stupid) question: how do I quit application and the agent as both commands are greyed out (and if I kill them it restarts automatically)?

Thanks again

ixav

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 01:49:32 PM »
Forget my question, disabling the persistence mode made it - thx again.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
Thanks for the prompt answer, I'll do that but just a hoppefully simple (and maybe stupid) question: how do I quit application and the agent as both commands are greyed out (and if I kill them it restarts automatically)?

Thanks again

[
when these are grayed out, this means that the installator detected (during install) that you have properly working launchd. Thus, the application was installed as "persistent" (you have probably Leopard 10.5.x, because in Tiger 10.4.x the launchd's semantic was broken and unusable).
]

What to do? Open preferences, and uncheck the checkbox "Launch at startup as a persistent application". After that, start the app again and apply the procedure mentioned above.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

campyman

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
I have avast! for mac version 2.7R0(service kit 1.41)

both the preferences and quit avast options are greyed out.  i couldn't find a mkinstall.sh script as another thread outlined. 

how do i uninstall this application?

thanks

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »
I have avast! for mac version 2.7R0(service kit 1.41)

both the preferences and quit avast options are greyed out.  i couldn't find a mkinstall.sh script as another thread outlined. 

how do i uninstall this application?

thanks

on OXS 10.5, the app is installed in so called "Presistent mode". Turn this off (in Preferences), and those items will be activated.

pc

castlelong1

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »
Um, where do I find this persistence mode?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »
Um, where do I find this persistence mode?

in the preferences of the Application. Just choose preferences from the avast menu in the Menu bar.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

castlelong1

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 08:42:18 PM »
Thx Mac.  Great signature, btw.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 12:06:30 PM »

Thanks again

Hallo,
they are greyed because you are in "persistent mode". Go to Preferences and turn this mode off :).

Regards,
PC

gillarda

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 06:42:01 AM »
Feeling dumb.....not a computer wizard and new to Macs.

I've read this whole forum and not found anything that works. I first tried dragging and dropping Avast into the recycle bin, that didn't work. The response was that it could not be deleted because "Com.avast.macavast.mad" is in use.  I don't know how to use the other two "for extra cleanup"  recommendations. Also, I tried to go under preferences on the Avast menu....and that was greyed out. I can quit the application and scanner under the menu bar, but I hat it popping up all the time. And, to be honest, I am annoyed I can't figure it out. Please over-explain all of this.

PS: Using Mac OSX

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 06:52:40 AM »
Feeling dumb.....not a computer wizard and new to Macs.

I've read this whole forum and not found anything that works. I first tried dragging and dropping Avast into the recycle bin, that didn't work. The response was that it could not be deleted because "Com.avast.macavast.mad" is in use.  I don't know how to use the other two "for extra cleanup"  recommendations. Also, I tried to go under preferences on the Avast menu....and that was greyed out. I can quit the application and scanner under the menu bar, but I hat it popping up all the time. And, to be honest, I am annoyed I can't figure it out. Please over-explain all of this.

PS: Using Mac OSX

Since you can quit the application I assume you are running Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger).

Try this:

1) Choose "Quit avast antivirus and agent" from the avast menu
2) try dragging the Application to the trash, if you can then empty the trash (right click, empty trash)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

lakewoodlady

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 01:12:29 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum and very new to Mac.  I have read through this topic and followed the instructions to remove Avast! from my macbook.  I used the preferences to untick the Persistent mode, and then was able to Move it to the Trash.  However, now I cannot Empty thr trash because the "com.avast.MacAvast.MAD" is in use.    ???

lakewoodlady

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »
Well, I feel a bit silly now, lol!  All I had to do was a restart and then it emptied no prob!