Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 134308 times)

bikemanAMD

Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 04:59:43 AM »
Have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.20ghz, 4gbs of ram, 8600GT Video card

Most of the day i use Second Life 3D game that uses 100 percent CPu all by itself, See Some Lag at TImes, but i just consider it a Second Life issue and don't worry on it, been using Avast 5 since it was released, as well as when the beta stablizied as well.  Rock Slid Product, Not sure if the Webshield causes me issues or not--i'll have to test it and see for sure, perhaps when i'm not using Second life(whenever that is)

I can do a speedtest now with Second Life open, and Webshield on--so i will right now and get that for you, will do one with it on, and one with it off and Intelligent Stream Scanning is on

Download With Webshield on, and Intelligent Stream Scanning:  1571(DSL Rated for 6016kbps)
Upload: 613kbps(rated 768ks)

Think Second life is screwing up my readings, will redo later tonight

cazoza

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 05:40:03 AM »
Hi pals!

Here is my TEST Image, hope it helps to solve this issue. And my system settings are in my signature, so i think in slow end computers, it's because the system settings they have (CPU, memory, HDD, Mother Board, etc.) , because they can't work as fast as new end computers with AvastSvc.exe process. By the way, i have 2MB/s DSL Connection.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:48:30 AM by cazoza »

Offline Soure73

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:06:05 AM »
 I'm also experiencing a small slowdown :-[
Using Avast Free 5.0.454 and ADSL 20mbit download,1 mbit upload
Wend webshield is on i get around 8mbit download with avastsvc.exe using sometimes 40% of the cpu :o but with webshield off i get around 15mbit download
HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
I realize the Turion has much greater processing power and that's the reason for the difference, but not everyone has computers with the power to compensate for WS's drag on their systems.

That's hardly a reason really. Atom N270 1,6GHz (single core, 2 threads, in-order) doesn't even come close to Turion, yet i'm getting perfectly normal speeds on netbook for 8Mbit connection (through wireless router) using avast! 5 Internet Security.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »
Also, if you are experiencing the issues, does it make any difference if you open the avast UI, navigate to Real-time Shields, Web Shield and uncheck the "Scan web (HTTP) traffic" box?

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Soure73

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
Also, if you are experiencing the issues, does it make any difference if you open the avast UI, navigate to Real-time Shields, Web Shield and uncheck the "Scan web (HTTP) traffic" box?

Cheers
Vlk

It sure does! With "Scan web traffic" disabled i get almost double internet speed!
With "Scan web traffic" enabled i now get avastSvc.exe using 44% of the cpu sometimes!
HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit

mhf

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
I'm not sure if the speed test thing is really much use :
with "Scan web traffic" disabled my speeds almost double using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
then almost no difference at all (either disabled or enabled) using http://www.speedtest.net/
then better results with "Scan web traffic" enabled using http://whatismyip.com/speedtest/index.asp than when disabled !!!

Obviously a lot depends on which servers are used and where they are situated geographically but even so imho these tests don't seem to help much with the present question.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:27:38 PM by mhf »

Hally

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »
Hi Vlk  :)

Like I've Said Before...

My speeds do NOT seem to be affected by the Avast 5 webshield  8)

I've never really kept check of my Upload Speed as much as I have my Download Speed  :-\
However!
100% Sure... My Download Speed Is The Same As It's Always Been  :D

I'm Using...
Broadband
Up To 8Mbps
Netgear - Wirelesss Modem/Router

But I Do Have One Problem :'(

Avast seems to cause my Internet to have minor cut outs at random times  ::)
What I Mean...
My little Internet Globe Icon ( Showing Net Connection ) keeps disappearing from the Taskbar.
Opening a browser or web page always brings the Globe Icon and my Internet straight back again.
But It Does get Annoying!  >:(

Note: Some days the problem is worse than others ( Almost Seems Like... Definition updates can have a positive or negative effect )

Note: I had exactly the same problem with - Avast 4.8

Note: I know that it's Avast causing the problem.
Because it doesn't happen when Avast is uninstalled  :(

Threads where I've talked about this problem...
Here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55722.msg471143#msg471143
Here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55898.msg473976#msg473976

Thanks!  ;)

PS.
A couple of other people have also said they have the same problem as me.

Hally
Avast 5 - Rocks!  8)

Baby Boy  :D  Congratulations! ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:32:04 PM by Hally »

sded

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »
FYI, I run both the Avast! web shield and the OA web shield simultaneously with no impact on web surfing or downloading, 3Mbps link.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 02:25:50 PM »
Hi Vlk

I was on dialup for hours cos my Vodafone wireless broadband was down. but it came back on just as I was wrapping up for the day, so I thought I best run some tests now cos dont know what things will be like tomorrow morning. (My line was rated D and F in the ping tests -  hope my ISP saw that).

Anyway these tests were run on 1.5Ghz single thread x 512mb PC800 Rambus server board - smallest I have.

Seems some loss, but I don't notice it much at user application layer, when spose I should - my system seems run well enough.

Two Chrome browsers were running and three/four web pages open for the duration of tests.
Media Player running whole time, MS Paint open and Faststone Image Viewer open for duration of tests.

I think the ratios speak for themselves. There is some loss, which I guestimate would be less and less the bigger and bigger the capacity of the system - with rdmaloyjr Turion, for example, there is very little loss at all.

okay for me, I manage okay, but hey if you make improvements, then all the better   :)

Have OA premium firewall service running automatic and started.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:29:34 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 02:44:10 PM »
I think I gonna faint soon not fair to have such a slow speed  :o
With shield enabled :)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »
God bless  :o
So much surprise When disabled!

rhawley1960

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
I just started having bad problems over the past couple of days.

I remember the problems starting after avast!  notified me it needed to upgrade (don't remember what it needed to upgrade).  I remember going to the avast! user interface, and seeing it downloading and installing stuff in the Maintenance tab.  I think the computer needed rebooted.

After that, browsing has often become very difficult.  As I use my browser (and it doesn't matter which browser - IE, Firefox, Opera) it starts out fine, but then gets worse and worse with big delays in loading pages. Sometimes timing out the page.  I also often cannot connect to my mail servers using my client (Thunderbird).

If I stop the web shield and the mail shield everything seems to be OK. Night and day difference, goes from unusable to what I normally expect.

Everything on my PC is up-to-date latest and greatest, all patches applied.  Windows Vista Home Premium  32bit, Dell Inspiron 530S, Intel Pentium Dual  E2200 2.20 GHz, 3.0 GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce  8400 GS 2GB.

Offline jimb11

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 06:15:51 PM »
I'm having the same problem as Hally losing my little Internet Globe Icon. When I stop the web shield the problem goes away. I sure would like to know what the problem is! Something isn't right!

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
@ rhawley1960

avast will not ask you to upgrade in the manner you have said - you must be mean update

update is actionable in Maintenance tab in avast User Interface (UI)
- rightclick orange ball in system tray at bottom right corner of screen and open avast UI
- see screenshot below of my UI open on Maintenance tab - update of engine and definitions is taking place

If you were asked to reboot then likely the update was a Program update - you will also see that on the page
- you should have program version 5.0.418 (unless you have downloaded Beta which is 5.0. 454)

Edit - sorry screenshot attached now

Please could you provide details of your updated details so forum can help you sort yr problem

Mine are --
engine and defs = 100308-1
program = 5.0.418 (as above)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:02:04 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.