Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 134300 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »
Hi guys,

during the last few weeks, I heard some comments that avast v5 is slowing down web surfing (cutting download speeds to half etc). As we're not able to simulate the problem here, I'd like to ask for your help.

If you're one of the people experiencing this problem, could you please tell us how exactly did you measure the difference? (with / without webshield) -- i.e. how did you measure the speed? Did you use a speed test? Which one, exactly (URL)? What's your speed with, and without webshield? Etc etc/...

The more details you supply, the better. Ultimately, we'd like to be able to reproduce the problem in our lab.

Also please note that stopping WebShield will drop all downloads in your browser!

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

rdmaloyjr

Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
On my computer with AMD Sempron 1.8 ghz 2g RAM  XPsp3 32bit I get 30 mb internet speed with Webshield turned off.
About half that with WS on.

Checked with http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

With my AMD Turion TL60 dual core 2ghz 4g RAM Win 7 64bit I don't experience any slow down.

Connected to same D-Link router, wired connection.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
I realize the Turion has much greater processing power and that's the reason for the difference, but not everyone has computers with the power to compensate for WS's drag on their systems.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
Also, 15mbs internet speed isn't a problem for me, but those with slower speeds this problem with WS could impact them greatly.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »
Almost no difference here between WS on & OFF
19 Mbps WS off and 18.5 Mbps WS on
IntelĀ® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »
On my computer with AMD Sempron 1.8 ghz 2g RAM  XPsp3 32bit I get 30 mb internet speed with Webshield turned off.

With my AMD Turion TL60 dual core 2ghz 4g RAM Win 7 64bit I don't experience any slow down.

What does the CPU usage chart show when you max out the bandwidth with WebShield enabled? (I mean on the Sempron box). Do you see any peaks in the AvastSvc.exe process?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

coolsilver

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »
I have a hard time finding my connection slowed down. Though sometimes it creates timeouts or delays a response from a webserver/dns.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:33 AM »
I hope this what you want.

galooma

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:09:16 AM »
My connection speed actually went down with WS off but its compromised by having a shared connection through a router.

gdiloren

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:11:51 AM »
I have a drop of about 3-4 Mbs with Web Shield ON. I tried Web Guard ON with AVIRA PREMIUM and the drop is about the same, a little bit less. I guess it's only normal considering that a Web Shield has to do its work (stupid but true...!). I'm noting AVAST 5.0 FREE to be refractory to my 2 computers home, now I just cleaned my Vista one of last year PCTOOLS AV bad uninstall and would like to try again but after the fifth time this year I'm a bit uneasy. Seems to work perfectly well on some computers but as in Antivir you still have people that have problems with their AV. Avira Premium seems to go well on my PCs. I don't understand. Ideally, WebShield should not interfere with internet speed. You can GOOGLE "bandwidth speed" and find a battery of web sites giving you the tool to measure your internet speed but each one of them will vary a bit in giving you the result. Overall for a connection with high speed internet (naked 7Mbs) you're slowed a bit. I guess on TGV connections you don't even feel it, but most of us have high speed don't they? ??? PS: I have direct connection to cable
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:14:27 AM by gdiloren »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:16:18 AM »
I hope this what you want.

I'd say Vlk is interested in the CPU usage - as shown e.g. in Task Manager on the Performance page.
(Though I'm not sure how to show the "chart" for a particular proces (AvastSvc.exe) - other than watching the CPU usage on the Processes page.)

gdiloren

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »
As I said, I have a big PEAK each time I go on a new web page with Web Guard ON which as I said slows down the internet connection as much (equivalent) as AVAST'S Web Shield. So CPU usage is then MAXIMUM. :o
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:57:27 AM by gdiloren »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »
off topic  /my wireless connect is the pits, plus bandwidth congested, struggle to bring up 1 Megabit, wrong time of day, but at least broadband is not down or I would be on dialup 53.3 53.6kbps. That said, I can surf comfortable at 1Mbps with many pages open.

well there is some difference Vlk but I dont really notice it much. I try again later and see what is same.
I'm not sure about the date and time - from what else that I see, the tests are supposed to be live.

Everything in screenshot below.
I have included a ping test as well in case it helps

Edit - its midnight now on same day and broadband has been down for 3 hours now - I've been on 53.6kbps, lucky forum is an easy make on dialup speed - nothing bad avast 5 might do could be worse than this and happens all the time ??? ??? ??? - I try phone Vodafone NZ and I get redirected to Eygpt cos they doan work after hours here  ??? ???
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:19:45 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

gdiloren

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:12:37 AM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55898.msg474248#msg474248
These were my results with the AVAST'S WEB SHIELD ON a few weeks ago and they are still valid with AVIRA'S PREMIUM WEB GUARD now. But it can vary a bit from day to day, as of example my upload speed is most of the time unaffected at 0.78 Mbs while always with Web Protection I can get between 3.8-5.5 Mbs, depending of day. I use the Easy test site.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:48:52 AM »

What does the CPU usage chart show when you max out the bandwidth with WebShield enabled? (I mean on the Sempron box). Do you see any peaks in the AvastSvc.exe process?

Vlk,

I emailed you an avi clip I made with SnagIt showing you cpu usage spiking in AvastSvc.exe process.