Author Topic: "Avast has stopped"  (Read 12132 times)

Malckeor

"Avast has stopped"
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:31:21 PM »
"The Avast antivirus program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state. Please re-start the program to resume protecting your system."

This is the message I got a few days ago. There's two things I can click to fix Avast ("FIX NOW" and "Start program"), but when I click on either of these, they don't do anything. There's just an hourglass next to my mouse pointer for about 2 seconds, then nothing.

Is something horribly wrong? Is there some other way to get Avast up and running again? Some help here would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: "Avast has stopped"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
It certainly appears that something is wrong. Whether it's "horribly" or not is anyone's guess.
I think it is likely to be related to your other thread here,  which you really should address.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

chez.forwood

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:07:46 AM »
I am having the exact same problem. Not happy about even being on the net without protection. It definately seems connected to the major Windows Security Update that happened yesterday. It even froze my pc on closing down and I had to remove battery pack to close and restart. I then restored to previous day. Running XP.  Please help us

ajontheweb

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »
having the same problem here too

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »
Which is your Windows?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

sfmike

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »
Same problem here. 
- Clean install of Windows 7
- Only a few apps installed for media center (show analyzer, dvrms toolkit)
- No other virus software ever on this build
- Running Windows firewall
- Happy AVG client on Vista, decided to try Avast on media center and WHS server
- Downloaded / installed Avast! free for Win7 v5.0.418.0
- Worked fine for a few days, then got same errors described above (won't start, "file system shield provider not found")

Tried the "repair" route as recommended in threads, but didn't work.  Doesn't seem to me that reinstalling the app is much of a solution, though I will try it once before reverting to AVG Free.  LMK if you want any diagnostic data.

Thanks,
Mike

sfmike

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
Uninstall / download latest version / install fixed the problem for the time being.  Avast! version is now 5.0.462

I didn't use the Avast! uninstall tool since it seemed to go cleanly.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:03:16 AM by sfmike »

Malckeor

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:14:18 PM »
I'm using Windows XP. I just tried repairing, but it didn't work. My version is 4.8, but I just started updating to version 5. Going to see if that works.

EDIT: just updated to version 5 and it is working fine.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 12:37:04 AM by Malckeor »

Schniffy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 01:38:56 PM »
Hey, first time writing. but got the answer. I just downloaded the new avast myself, and got the same problem. I tried to update it, but it didnt work, since avast aint running. But when i read this thread i thought about uninstalling it. And when you try to uninstall it with windows instead of the "avast uninstaller", windows give you the choise of updating. I just used the update choise instead of the uninstall. And after i updated it, it works fine  :D Dont know if this will work on any other versions of windows than windows 7 though.

wildcard

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:49:57 PM »
I came across the same problem when I installed avast 5.0.462. After that I just installed a lower version and updated it to the lastest version. You should give more details, hope your problem will be solved.

dickrichy

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:56:34 PM »
hi all i just had the same prob, basicaly my avast 4.8 hasnt been loading up as it should and had a red cross over it so after reinstalling with the same prob many times i came across the 5.0whatever version(the new1)
Had the same problem as all you folks. However i fixed it

All i did was go to control panel and attempt to repair avast, this gave me an error message, sorry i dint write it down. So i tryed pressing the update button instead of the repair one, it updated some files then i pressed next while it was still highlighting the update button, this updated again and there you have it. Avast was working as it should and the little warnings were gone. Now fully protected again.

I only joined this forum to say how i did it because i see many pages of the same problem. this seems like a simpler solution to some of the long winded explanations i have read on this forum. I hope it works for the rest of you!

Good luck

NomDeKeyz

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
I am on another thread receiving help, but I wanted to mention here that I too have the same issue, and have not been able to
fix it with the suggestions above. If you care to follow my progress, I'll post that on the thread that I started over the weekend: WARNING, your system is UNSECURED. (uninstall/reinstall?) ~NomDeKeyz