Author Topic: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error  (Read 47925 times)

dford3772

Re: Avast can't scan incoming POP3 mail error
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »
I did not recognize the Symantec at all but the first thing I did see was the Spycatcher stuff 02 BHO.  I note that the log says that file is missing and it should be because Tenebril Spycatcher stuff was one of the files removed from the registry.

As to the International 011 entry I haven't a clue; I Googled it but didn't find a likely source.  Bleeping Computer says:  Its for Internationalized Domain Name Support in Internet Explorer 7. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ietechcol/cols/dnexpie/ie7_idn_support.asp  Guess I'd better let this one alone as I do have IE7.

I will run HJT again and fix the Symantec and I guess the Spycatcher too.  Does HJT take it out as we did manually?
Donna

dford3772

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2007, 06:26:44 PM »
bgsvcgen.exe file information

The process B's Recorder GOLD Service Library belongs to the software B's Recorder GOLD by B.H.A Corporation (www.bhacorp.com).

Description: bgsvcgen.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. The file size on Windows XP is 86016 bytes.
The program is not visible. File bgsvcgen.exe is located in the Windows folder, but it is not a Windows core file. bgsvcgen.exe is not a Windows core file. Therefore the technical security rating is 51% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as bgsvcgen.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the bgsvcgen.exe process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

Can't really find a solid answer but it looks iffy.  Unless this came through iTunes I've not downloaded anything like this.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
avast also detects registry entries, that is why we spent time trying to remove them. If avast detects a registry entry that could conflict then it may disable any element that could conflict, even though the file isn't running, it doesn't know it might not start later it doesn't go looking in depth. HJT removes the registry entry and should keep a back-up.

Although the international one was one I said to fix, it shouldn't have anything to do with the avast issue, leave it if you like.

The only one I sought confirmation was bgsvcgen.exe in the link I gave and you quoted, gave a file size did you compare that to yours ?
The idea of anything that is 'iffy' as you put it is to check it with virustotal, etc. if nothing is detected in the 32 different scanners the less likelihood of it being 'iffy.'

From the bhacorp.com site this doesn't appear to be anything to do with itunes and would appear to be a paid for installation. As such I would expect to see an add remove programs entry for it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »
I was unable to figure out how to get the bgsvcgen.exe file into Virus Total; it is in Task Mgr. and its size is 100K as opposed to the
86016 bytes mentioned in my quote.  It is not in Add/Remove in any form that I can see.  I expect it is malware.  I will check Virus
Totals if you explain how.  I can also add the International one; I don't like the fact that even if it is IE7 MS should claim it in some way.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »
You connect to virustotal on the top right of the screen is a browse button, click that and navigate to the suspect file, C:\WINDOWS\system32\bgsvcgen.exe.

You can't check the International one there is no associated file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dford3772

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2007, 10:35:53 PM »
This mysterious application is virtually hidden    I found it by running a search and there is a file Named B's Recorder Gold Library by
BHA File 1.0.0.1 created 12/15/06 84.0 KB

I have no clue but it must be attached to some program I have perhaps Audible or perhaps my CD/DVD burners.  When I go to BHA it
looks to me as if the software is no longer supported.  Too Weird!

Just completed the scan.  VirusTotal is AWESOME!  Is there a spyware one like this?  No virus in this and no threats!

Ok I'm ready to FIX using HJT as you directed.  Fix the Spycatcher in 02 BHO and the 3 Symantec in 016. Right?
I guess leave the International and this mysterious BHA?  Is there a possibilty of No Fix and might have to go in manually?
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2007, 12:21:28 AM »
Virustotal has anti-spyware engines in there as well and is the ideal location for checking any suspect file.

Ignore the International issue for now as it is of no importance in this particular problem, fix the rest.
Rename bgsvcgen.exe to bgsvcgen-exe.old I say rename rather than delete as that is a final option. If some program in the future complains about bgsvcgen.exe is missing then if this program is legit and its use of this file also seems legit you can re-name it back again.

Files that are deleted from the system folder usually end up as restore points in the c:\system volume information folder and you don't really want that, certainlt no tat this moment in time.

dford3772

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2007, 01:08:57 AM »
David,
  I've removed the 4 items, they are in back-up, and I re-booted.  I did another scan and they are gone.  The can't protect e-mail
appeared on re-boot.  As a last ditch effort I'm pasting in a copy of a start up scan to see if you note problems there.

StartupList report, 4/9/2007, 6:01:05 PM
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\HJT\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bgsvcgen.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Updater\SansaSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Zinio\ZinioDeliveryManager.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Audible\Bin\AudibleDownloadHelper.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\HJT\HijackThis.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Common Startup:
[C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
Audible Download Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Audible\Bin\AudibleDownloadHelper.exe

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

hpsysdrv = c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
KBD = C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
Recguard = C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
PS2 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
ISUSPM Startup = C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
SunJavaUpdateSched = "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe"
QuickTime Task = "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
iTunesHelper = "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
COMODO Firewall Pro = "C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe" /background
avast! = C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Zinio DLM = C:\Program Files\Zinio\ZinioDeliveryManager.exe /autostart
ctfmon.exe = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=Explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=C:\WINDOWS\system32\logon.scr
drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry key not found*
HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
(no name) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43}

Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:

AppleSoftwareUpdate.job
User_Feed_Synchronization-{366CA388-C814-431F-A04B-50AC30D63C32}.job

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\legitcheckcontrol.dll
CODEBASE = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=39204&clcid=0x409

[Snapfish Activia]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\SnapfishActivia1000.ocx
CODEBASE = http://www1.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab

[{49232000-16E4-426C-A231-62846947304B}]
CODEBASE = http://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/rdqcpc/downloads/sysinfo.cab

[MUWebControl Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\muweb.dll
CODEBASE = http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1159798113515

[Ofoto Upload Manager Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\axofupld.dll
CODEBASE = http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_1/axofupld.cab

[InstallShield International Setup Player]
InProcServer32 = c:\windows\DOWNLO~1\isetupml.dll
CODEBASE = http://software.newsstand.com/reader/live/Disk1/isetupml.cab

[CInstallLPCtrl Object]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\InstallLP.dll
CODEBASE = http://u3.sandisk.com/download/apps/LPInstaller.CAB

[Persits Software XUpload]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\XUpload.ocx
CODEBASE = http://www.streamload.com/Upload/XUpload.ocx

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

PostBootReminder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
CDBurn: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
WebCheck: C:\WINDOWS\system32\webcheck.dll
SysTray: C:\WINDOWS\system32\stobject.dll
WPDShServiceObj: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

End of report, 6,546 bytes
Report generated in 0.016 seconds

Command line options:
   /verbose  - to add additional info on each section
   /complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
   /full     - to include several rarely-important sections
   /force9x  - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
   /forcent  - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
   /forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
   /history  - to list version history only
Hopefully this will be of some help.  If not I'm brain dead at this point.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2007, 02:35:40 AM »
Unfortunately I don't see anything in this start-up report list.

I'm absolutely at a loss as to what else to suggest, I can't see anything that might have some interaction with the mail scanner.

What makes it all the more baffling is even though the error on boot that avast can't protect your email, clearly it is checking/protecting your outbound email.

I have spent some time going over the topic again in the hope of finding something that I may have missed or is significant and I think I have found something.

Quote from: dford3772
Avast! knows before or as it goes into the system tray on bootup that it cannot check my mail.  Since it worked briefly, it sounds more
like a bug in the Avast installation.  It checks outgoing mail perfectly still.  In fact that can't protect mail is the first thing I see on my desktop.  ASAP follows a Comodo allow/deny for Avast.

Highlighted in red, what I can't understand is why comodo should need to ask permission again, there should be an option to remember your choice, etc. Although you say this comes ASAP after the avast warning, it actually may be happing at the same time but avast would potentially intercept it whilst it scans the pop-up comodo alert.

At that time comodo is effectively blocking so that may be why avast is grumbling about not not being able to protect your email.

So exactly what avast process is comodo continually asking permission for, I'm hoping it is ashMaiSv.exe ?

dford3772

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »
The Comodo Avast permission did not come up this a.m. nor I think did it in a reboot last night either.  I've gone back over all my notes and it appears that it was AshWebSvc. that was asking to be allowed.

FF just crashed again when it has not for two days.  Go figure that too.
Donna

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »
The ashWebSv.exe, Web Shield 'shouldn't' have and impact on the email protection message, so scratch that hope to have found a possible reason.

Since the comodo pop-up doesn't occur, does the avast email protection warning still appear, I can only assume it does as you didn't say but you aren't jumping for joy ?

Have you taken/recorded the information on the FF crash as I previously suggested, without it you really wont find the cause. I have had no issues with FF 2.0.0.3 since I updated.

I think it is time to take another step and try the avast beta 4.7.971 I and several others have been using this for 11 days now with no major issues, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27439.0, download the small exe file and then run it, that will change the version to the beta, you will need to reboot after conversion.

When the final release version update comes avast will update to that with no input required from you. Just monitor the beta topic and you will see when it is released as a regular update and you can do a manual update if you don't want to wait for the regular update cycle.

Some of the changes in the beta are designed to get avast starting quicker on boot, this may help if there is any conflict with another running process, it really is the only thing left that I can suggest.

dford3772

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »
I will try the beta version today as I like everything ELSE about Avast very much.  After much research I find there really are no other choices other than something like Trend Micro which doesn't conflict with anything.  LOL  I certainly don't want any more Norton.  For years Norton worked well for me but the present bloated version is not my cup of tea.

Right now I don't have the energy for FF problem but yes I will have to solve it.  I think taking out
extensions and a re-install may work best.  I started having trouble when the auto (prior to start) ext.
updates began.  In my case it was several weeks after installing 2.0.0.3 before crashes began.

I don't suppose I need to do anything to Comodo when I go to beta Avast; I guess it will take care of itself.
I can't thank you enough for all your help and the learning experience I've had.  As a 63 yr old retired
school teacher who taught myself the Mac and the PC (what little I know) I don't think I will ever lose
my love of learning new things.
Donna

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2007, 04:01:29 PM »
For years Norton worked well for me but the present bloated version is not my cup of tea.
Fully agree.

Right now I don't have the energy for FF problem but yes I will have to solve it.  I think taking out
extensions and a re-install may work best.  I started having trouble when the auto (prior to start) ext.
updates began.  In my case it was several weeks after installing 2.0.0.3 before crashes began.
Version 2.0.0.3 is working well for me. Maybe you should open Firefox (Safe Mode) and exclude the problematic extensions from there.

I don't suppose I need to do anything to Comodo when I go to beta Avast; I guess it will take care of itself.
Yes, no trouble between them.
The best things in life are free.

dford3772

Re: Loading Beta to Correct Mail Error
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2007, 04:23:44 PM »
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Started: 10.04.2007, 09:14:32
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Running setup_av_pro-3ae (942)
10.04.2007 09:14:32 system: Operating system: WindowsXP ver 5.1, build 2600, sp 2.0 [Service Pack 2]
10.04.2007 09:14:32 system: Computer WinName: DONNA
10.04.2007 09:14:32 system: Windows Net User: DONNA\HP_Owner
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Cmdline: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /silent /progress 
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: DldSrc set to inet
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Operation set to INST_OP_UPDATE_GET_PACKAGES
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Old version: 3ae (942)
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: SGW32P::CheckIfInstalled set m_bAlreadyInstalled to 1
10.04.2007 09:14:32 system: Computer DnsName: Donna
10.04.2007 09:14:32 system: Computer Ip Addr: 69.247.112.214
10.04.2007 09:14:32 internet: SYNCER: Type: use IE settings
10.04.2007 09:14:32 internet: SYNCER: Auth: another authentication, use WinInet
10.04.2007 09:14:32 package: Part prg_av_pro-3ae is installed
10.04.2007 09:14:32 package: Part vps-73101 is installed
10.04.2007 09:14:32 package: Part news-4b is installed
10.04.2007 09:14:32 package: Part setup_av_pro-3ae is installed
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Old version: 3ae (942)
10.04.2007 09:14:32 file: SetExistingFilesBitmap: 937->145->145
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: GUID: 593be896-c2e4-4c85-9f6a-94b8c7ebb2ee
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Server definition(s) loaded for 'main': 2 (maintenance:0)
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: SelectCurrent: selected server 'Test (external beta)' from 'main'
10.04.2007 09:14:32 package: GetPackages - set proxy for inet
10.04.2007 09:14:32 internet: SYNCER: Type: use IE settings
10.04.2007 09:14:32 internet: SYNCER: Auth: another authentication, use WinInet
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Entered SetupProcessPro::Do( INST_OP_UPDATE_GET_PACKAGES )
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Entered SetupProcessWin32Avast::Do( INST_OP_UPDATE_GET_PACKAGES )
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Entered SetupProcessWin32::Do( INST_OP_UPDATE_GET_PACKAGES )
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: Entered SetupProcess::Do( INST_OP_UPDATE_GET_PACKAGES )
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: progress thread start
10.04.2007 09:14:32 general: progress start - 1
10.04.2007 09:14:33 general: progress start - 2
10.04.2007 09:15:07 package: ERROR:HttpGetWininet, catch returned 0x00002EFD
10.04.2007 09:15:28 package: ERROR:HttpGetWininet, catch returned 0x00002EFD
10.04.2007 09:15:28 general: InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Test (external beta)' from 'main'
10.04.2007 09:15:28 general: SelectCurrent: unable to find any suitable server in 'main'
10.04.2007 09:15:28 internet: while trying to get file 'servers.def.vpu', error 0x20000004 has occured, try 1
10.04.2007 09:15:28 internet: tried 1 servers to get file 'servers.def.vpu', but failed (0x20000004)
10.04.2007 09:15:28 file: GetNewerStampedFile:GetFileWithRetry failed: C:\DOCUME~1\HP_Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_proI.tm~a03348\onefile, servers.def.vpu, error: 0x20000004
10.04.2007 09:15:28 package: Download servers.def, servers.def.vpu failed with error 0x20000011.
10.04.2007 09:15:49 package: ERROR:HttpGetWininet, catch returned 0x00002EFD
10.04.2007 09:16:10 package: ERROR:HttpGetWininet, catch returned 0x00002EFD
10.04.2007 09:16:10 general: InvalidateCurrent: invalidated server 'Test (external beta)' from 'main'
10.04.2007 09:16:10 general: SelectCurrent: unable to find any suitable server in 'main'
10.04.2007 09:16:10 internet: while trying to get file 'servers.def', error 0x20000004 has occured, try 1
10.04.2007 09:16:10 internet: tried 1 servers to get file 'servers.def', but failed (0x20000004)
10.04.2007 09:16:10 file: GetNewerStampedFile:GetFileWithRetry failed: C:\DOCUME~1\HP_Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_proI.tm~a03348\onefile, servers.def, error: 0x20000004
10.04.2007 09:16:10 package: Tried to download servers.def but failed with error 0x20000004.
10.04.2007 09:16:10 general: progress end - 1
10.04.2007 09:16:10 general: progress end - 0
10.04.2007 09:16:10 general: progress thread end
10.04.2007 09:16:10 general: Err:Cannot connect to cat.asw.cz (195.47.75.56:80)Logfile from error attached:

dford3772

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
It went ahead and loaded but I received a corrupt file notice in red at the bottom of the screen.  Ithink the problem is and always has been the Comodo firewall which delays by asking 1000 times I don't care how much I check to remember my allow message.  The last attachment shows that and it would not allow in time to correctly load the update.

My current version still says 4.7.942.  I think it is clean out and start over time.  I need to know what to do with the firewall Comodo 2.0.
Disable or uninstall and turn on WinXP as temp measure.
Donna