Author Topic: PIN Recovery Phone Number  (Read 48208 times)

Offline Gandalf1369

PIN Recovery Phone Number
« on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:01 PM »
Just updated to the latest version from the Play Store.  Everything appears to be working very well but I have a question.  What exactly is the "PIN Recovery Phone Number"??  I'm getting the message on my phone's screen that the PIN Recovery Phone Number is not set.  I've looked on-line for more information about it but haven't found anything.

Thanks . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
Re: PIN Recovery Phone Number
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
You can set up the PIN Recovery Phone Number in the Settings. Then, in case you forget your PIN, you can start the Recovery process right from the Password dialog. It'll send an SMS with a temporary PIN to the number previously set. With that temporary PIN, you can get access to the app and change the PIN to whatever you want (and will remember :))

Ondra

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »
Ondra, thanks for the quick reply . . .  :)
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

zaienid

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:40 AM »
But what if i dont remember my Pin and never set a recovery number? :(

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
Then you can set the PIN via your avast! Account.

Filip

zaienid

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:44:39 AM »
Thanks but... i created the acount (my.avast.com), search for devices and dont find the option to reset pin, just reset accoun password (not the same for mobile pin / android app 4.** :(

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 07:29:14 AM »
If you install Anti-Theft, it will be there among the other options.

Filip

tommytinkroom

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 01:31:58 AM »
Just did an update,and when i try to open app i'm faced with "enter Avast pin" "pin recovery not set"
Please set the recovery phone number in the settings.Does'nt accept my pin number and won't let me
go into the settings.Please help. :-[

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
Hi,

did you update both Mobile Security and Anti-Theft? Did you try 0000 as the PIN?

Filip

failsafe

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
the text box for the PIN Recovery Phone Number only allows a PIN (4 - 6 digits) to be entered, not a Phone Num!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:03 PM »
Hi,

are you sure? I just tried Settings - Recovery phone number - Custom number and it accepted 9 digits for me.

Filip

jcrandle

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 01:16:59 AM »
The message the App issues is confusing. It IS asking you to enter your 4 to 6 digit PIN. It is also reminding you that you haven't specified a Recovery Phone Number.  Confusing because after you enter your PIN, you should be able to open the Settings for the App and one of the options available will be the Recovery Phone Number. The Recovery Phone number is not described in the current version of the Mobile Security Users Guide, but I believe that the intent is to specify a phone where a SMS can be sent to provide a short life temporary PIN. I seem to recall that it will be valid for 30 minutes, in the evenr that your PIN is forgotten or corrupted. It would be helpful if the function of the Recovery Phone Number were added to the Users Guide.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 02:57:03 AM »
We don't have the enough time to implement this and translate the guides yet. Sorry.
Maybe it's better to have the feature even it is not in the guide than the opposite, wait for the guides to use all the possibilities.
Hope they correct or increase the explanation in the future. More work for us, translators :)
The best things in life are free.

jcrandle

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:56 AM »
Understood. It is easy for us to forget that much of the world does not have English as their native language. Thank you again for providing the function. We will wait for the details.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »
Understood. It is easy for us to forget that much of the world does not have English as their native language. Thank you again for providing the function. We will wait for the details.
You're welcome.
The best things in life are free.