Author Topic: Boot scan suggestion  (Read 1962 times)

Labyrintho

Boot scan suggestion
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
Would it be better to have the default boot-time scan action be "move to chest" instead of "ask"?  Maybe with a GUI reminder upon reboot to check the chest, with the default chest sort being based on time it was moved to the chest.

Until I noticed that I could change that in the low-level GUI settings, (overnight) boot-time scanning was a useless pain, since it would always stop early on when it would find some (real or even false-positive) threat.  Surely no one sits and watches a boot-time scan....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:22:49 PM by Labyrintho »

Gargamel360

Re: Boot scan suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »
Automated action used to exist for boot-time scans.  They where removed for the potential damage they might cause.  As you noticed, boot scans can produce FPs, and in the case of you running an overnight scan and it flags the wrong file and throws it in the chest, you might end up with a bricked PC, the boot scan having moved to chest something that is needed by Windows to boot.  So if you choose to run a boot-time scan, every detection must be considered carefully....no matter the sizable PITA it makes it. ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »
What happened to the automatic actions in the Boot-time scan?
https://blog.avast.com/2010/02/04/v5-bts-auto-actions/

Labyrintho

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:51:46 AM »
Good points about the possibility of false positives bricking the system--I should have thought of that.

I wonder if they have the whitelist working now at boot-time?  I guess they didn't in the past (pre version 6).