Author Topic: Avast 6.1's scanning speed increase...  (Read 3054 times)

Rafatxo

Avast 6.1's scanning speed increase...
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
Hello!
I have Avast Free installed, I do not know exactly which version is, but as you know the Avast 6, has had many updates, so it must be 6.1.2., or so.
Yesterday, I launched a slow or complete scan, and it lasted too much. It was a long time since I launched the scanning of the computer. While it was scanning, several data showed up, among them: Processed file, Amount of data tested, Tested files/folders, Speed and so on. In the notification area of my pc, several icons appeared. One of them has the image of a computer, it is supposed to be my computer. When I lay the mouse on it, you can read: (Signal strength, and then you can read 18Mbps, 24Mbps, 36Mbps or 54 Mbps). Sometimes, this icon enlightens, and it is supposed that then there is more signal strength than ever. Well, then I have the Screen protector too, that comes up after 20 mins. of inactivity. But my question is: How can one get bigger  the speed of antivirus while scanning? I suppose that the higher the speed, the faster scanning will be and then, the scan will end sooner.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:53:46 AM by Rafatxo »

ady4um

Re: Avast 6.1's scanning speed increase...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
The "computer" tray icon has notthing to do with anything more but your network connection.

The screen saver is activated after 20 minutes if you set it like that, as a power saver setting (although, a screen saver is not a power saver). If you want to save power, and speed up your scan, set the system to max performance (not power saver), disconnect from any networks, don't start any optional programs, close any program currently running, stop any schedule tasks (except the AV scan), use AC power (not only batteries) and manually shut down your screen if you can (to save power).

As you can see, there are many things you could do to speed up a full scan (and more than those), but I'm not so sure it is worth the trouble to temporarily change so many settings, just for a periodic scan.

The active defense of Avast (and most of nowadays security tools) is currently more important in the several protection layers. But, a periodic full scan is still an option you may use.

HTH.

Rafatxo

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
Hello!!
Disconnect from any networks means "to work without connection"? The scan I performed in the PC, the PC has no batteries, it is not either a notebook or a laptop.How can you set the system to max performance??.
And how can you manually shut down the screen??.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:30:45 PM by Rafatxo »

Rafatxo

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »
Hello!!
Disconnect from any networks means "to work without connection"? The scan I performed in the PC, the PC has no batteries, it is not either a notebook or a laptop.How can you set the system to max performance??.
And how can you manually shut down the screen??.