Author Topic: Avast! update causing blue screen  (Read 3350 times)

Gunto

Avast! update causing blue screen
« on: September 21, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
Hello.

The most recent Avast! update is causing my computer to blue screen every time I boot into normal mode. It gets up to the Windows XP loading screen, then proceeds to blue screen. The error is "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I had this issue as soon as the new update was released. I had to get a different antivirus, and I tried it again today, same boot error.

After Googling I followed your guide for selective start-up, though it did no good. The update itself seems successful, though I can tell that something went wrong with driver installation.

I'd appreciate any help with this, thanks. :)

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast! update causing blue screen
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
welcome to the forum.

i suggest you try a clean installtion from scratch of avast and see if that could solve your problem.

download the latest version of avast from http://www.avast.com/en-se/free-antivirus-download

download the uninstall tool and run it.

http://www.avast.com/en-se/uninstall-utility

reboot your system.

do a registry clean with ccleaner to clean any lef over files of avast.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

install the latest version of avast, registry the program.

good luck and let us know if you need more support.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Gunto

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:04:09 PM »
Did as you instructed, still getting a blue screen when booting into normal mode. :(

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »
Hello.

The most recent Avast! update is causing my computer to blue screen every time I boot into normal mode. It gets up to the Windows XP loading screen, then proceeds to blue screen. The error is "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". I had this issue as soon as the new update was released. I had to get a different antivirus, and I tried it again today, same boot error.

After Googling I followed your guide for selective start-up, though it did no good. The update itself seems successful, though I can tell that something went wrong with driver installation.

I'd appreciate any help with this, thanks. :)

I had a similar experience yesterday.
Last thing before shutdown Monday, avast! updated VDF.
Tuesday, tried a normal start twice, got same BSOD screen as you describe on both attempts, no MEMORY.DMP generated.
Third attempted start was successful and immediately, another VDF update was applied. No further problems. (I didn't think to keep track of update version numbers.)
Wednesday (today) updated to 110921-0 at startup. All seems OK.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25