Author Topic: what should I do with err 42110 messages?  (Read 55732 times)

mef83049

what should I do with err 42110 messages?
« on: December 26, 2008, 04:51:14 PM »
My first scan resulted in numerous err 42110 messages.
What should I do with those files?  delete?  move? etc.

for example:
older/aug24index.zip/bizequity-aug24-index        err 42110
Part of package:  does not belong to any package

older/aug24mysqldump.zip                               err 42110
Part of package: does not belong to any package

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: what should I do with err 42110 messages?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »
error 42110 means that avast! thinks that a file it is trying to scan is a 'decompression bomb'

This means that it's an archive file (eg a ZIP file) which has a very high compression ratio, so it will potentially grow to be VERY big, and use up all possible memory. They're often used in DoS attacks on virus scanners, so avast! is detecting it and refusing to scan the archive to avoid crashing the system.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »
If you set the report only to 'infected files' and not for hard/soft errors, we can narrow down these messages.
Also, files that can't be scanned aren't infected by themselves, just couldn't be scanned, nothing more.

Decompression bomb is a file that may be rather small, but decompresses to an enormous amount of data (when processed as a packed archive). Such file are not malicious per se, but they may block an antivirus program when it tries to scan them.
This kind of files is rather hard to detect (and avoid) precisely - so, it is possible that there are some false alarms. It's not a big problem in this case, however - the "decompression bomb" announcement actually means something like "The file has a very high, maybe even suspicious, compression ratio and the AV is not going to scan the archive content".

I'd suggest to ignore these files.
The best things in life are free.

NOTSO101

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 04:14:35 AM »
O.K. I have now read & know what error 42110 is & saw one response to just ignore it, but what I would like to know = Is it safe to delete these files?  I've found two of 'em so far.  :-\  Or is there something in there that could harm my computer?  Seems like a lot of files to have loaded in your computer, i.e wasting a lot of space.  As a novice, I don't want to damage anything that can't be repaired!!!
Thanks to anyone who can share their opinion on this...

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 02:24:23 AM »
My first scan resulted in numerous err 42110 messages.
What should I do with those files?  delete?  move? etc.

for example:
older/aug24index.zip/bizequity-aug24-index        err 42110
Part of package:  does not belong to any package

older/aug24mysqldump.zip                               err 42110
Part of package: does not belong to any package

hallo,
at first... upgrade.
numeric codes were present in the oldest version only - later version had textual form, and our present beta as well (first sticky thread on this forum, this beta is highly recommended). by the way, those errors just say that some file is similar to packer bomb - has unusually high compression ratio. for some bitmaps, sc anned objects, packed sources, this is pretty common case.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »
This message is still an issue with the latest version of Avast.  I had never gotten this message before but started getting it with Avast 2015.  The files that show the messages are my old TaxAct tax software packages from the early 2000s.  Yeah, I should clean them out but I tend to keep anything I think I might have to reinstall for any reason.