Author Topic: Saving Avast! Setup for Reinstallation.  (Read 3627 times)

HAC1932

Saving Avast! Setup for Reinstallation.
« on: April 05, 2006, 02:10:09 PM »
I am using v4.6 Home Edition. I want to reinstall Windows XP Home on my C: partition. Obviously I would lose Avast! by doing so. Is there any way to save a copy of it on another drive or CD so that I could reinstall Avast! after reinstalling XP to my C: partition but before I went on the internet again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Saving Avast! Setup for Reinstallation.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 02:59:12 PM »
Hello!

Just download the installation file here:
http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html

And save it somewhere for later usage. This way you can install it anytime you want without downloading it again. Updater will later take care for latest VPS signatures and possible program updates that were released in the meantime.

If you need any other info just ask :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
Saving a copy as in the avast folder/s won't work as the registry entries won't exist in the registry of the fresh XP install. To avoid connecting to the internet unprotected isn't advisable, so you could download the latest version of the avast setup file and either save it to a different partition, 2nd hard disk or copy it to a CD. You could then use that without having to go on-line to get it.

You could also save a copy of the avast4.ini file which contains some of your avast customisations. You should also save the email that contains your registration key, but that isn't so critical as you can reregister.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

HAC1932

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:05:24 PM »
Thank you both for your quick replies. Will do what you suggest. Best wishes.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 04:13:13 PM »
If you've downloaded any skins, you can save the skins folder too, besides avast4.ini file  :)
You'll be able to use the same registration number.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 05:38:12 PM »
Thank you both for your quick replies. Will do what you suggest. Best wishes.
No problem, welcome to the forums. good luck with the reinstallation of XP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security