Author Topic: lavasoft's removal tools - conflict with avast?  (Read 4403 times)

nweissma

lavasoft's removal tools - conflict with avast?
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:26:27 PM »
a few of Lavasoft's removal tools, such as that for Look2Me,

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/look2me_removal_tool.php

seem to function in an antivirus capacity.

i will assume that i need not concern myself with conflicts with avast! -- ?

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
Re: lavasoft's removal tools - conflict with avast?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 11:38:35 PM »
I haven't tried that one, but I've used the VX2 cleaner with no problems.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 12:12:55 AM »
a few of Lavasoft's removal tools, such as that for Look2Me,
http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/look2me_removal_tool.php
seem to function in an antivirus capacity.
i will assume that i need not concern myself with conflicts with avast! -- ?

For the most part these tools shouldn't have any problem, but if they happened to contain signatures that they were looking for, avast might detect the signature within the removal tool if they weren't encrypted.

I also pause the standard shield if I am going to run another security scan, such as an on-demand scan with avg anti-spyware or adaware, etc. Not only does it avoid any potential conflict, but should also speed up the scan duration as avast isn't looking over its shoulder, scanning files that it wants to open to check.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nweissma

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:50:36 PM »
  • are you saying that there will be a conflict between avast! and ad-aware spyware?
  • how do i use avast to scan a saved download? i understand that malware can avoid detection by being zipped - what does avast do in this case?
  • there are so many avast options. how can i learn about them? (i don't even know the meaning of most of the terms!)

thanks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 08:43:14 PM »
Check out my signature and you will see I use ad-aware (free), so yes there is no conflict. ad-aware isn't 'spyware' but anti-adware/spyware.

Assuming that you installed avast! in the default folder, this is the path needed to scan downloads, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe. This will scan zipped files, but not password protected or encrypted files.

The avast help file, right click the avast icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, Help or Windows Start button, All Programs, avast Antivirus, Help.

Browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast help file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 08:55:37 PM »
 :)  Hi NWeissma :

The Lavasoft "Removal Tools" are for WHEN a person has a SPECIFIC
       SPYWARE "Infection" and that has nothing to do with using Avast .

And the Best & FREE antiSPYWARE program ( will NOT "conflict" with Avast " )
       that is compatible with a Vista Operating System is the FREE version of
       SUPERantispyware from www.superantispyware .

IF you have NOT read the info in Avast's Frequently Asked Questions at
       www.avast.com/eng/faq-avast-4-home-professional.html
       I would encourage you to do so .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »
  • are you saying that there will be a conflict between avast! and ad-aware spyware?
No, he won't. The two applications won't conflict.

• how do i use avast to scan a saved download?
Use a Download Manager that run C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe at the end of the download.

i understand that malware can avoid detection by being zipped - what does avast do in this case?[/li][/list]
avast scans inside of archive files. No problems.

• there are so many avast options. how can i learn about them? (i don't even know the meaning of most of the terms!)
Asking in the forums, reading the help files, etc. 8)
The best things in life are free.