Author Topic: Avast does not work and cannot uninstall  (Read 80357 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast does not work and cannot uninstall
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 10:16:26 PM »
I installed the free version of Avast onto my computer today.  It will not open nor will it uninstall. I have tried using the control panel to delete it and that did not work. I also tried the uninstall tool and that did not work either.  Can someone PLEASE HELP me fix it!!
what antivirus did you have before avast?
did you uninstall it before installing avast?

I also tried the uninstall tool and that did not work either.
did you run it from safe mode ...as the instructions on website say ?

jlocklear

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 10:37:03 PM »
The antivirus was norton and no I didnt uninstall it first.  After I did though I re-installed the avast and still nothing.  I cannot download the uninstall tool that was provided.  It gives me an error message

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
  I cannot download the uninstall tool that was provided. 
you mean this    http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
what error do you get?

you need to uninstall Norton and run Norton removal tool to be sure all leftover files that may conflict are gone
run and reboot   http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

running multiple AV will make your computer slower / mysterious windows errors / false positive detections .....etc etc

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:46:41 PM by Pondus »

jlocklear

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 10:52:31 PM »
ummm... it says the avast self protection module is enabled. For this reason the operation cannot be completed.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 10:58:32 PM »
ummm... it says the avast self protection module is enabled. For this reason the operation cannot be completed.
when downloading ?.....or when running?

do you run it from safe mode ?

jlocklear

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »
It goes through the download and it says scanning then the error message comes up.  I just ran the Norton removal too and rebootedl. And it still won't let me do it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
you still have not told me if you run it in safe mode or not ?

do you know what safe mode is ?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »
you still have not told me if you run it in safe mode or not ?

do you know what safe mode is ?

Yes, does seem the OP almost needs to start again from scratch (clearing everything with removal tools in 'SAFE MODE'. Could have corrupted Avast install due to originally installing with another security program installed. :-\
Then do Clean Install of Avast Set up. ;) :)

kdsgrammy

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
I am having the same problem with Avast. It is X'ed out down by my clock after I clicked on an Avast update reminder and I tried to uninstall.. I got an error message as well. I tried to install over it and it would not work either. So I called Avast help line and they tell me it is a malicious attack, but I had trouble understanding the tech since his accent was so strong. I did however understand him to say it would cost $99 dollars for them  to remove it remotely. Or $150 if I take it to a computer repair shop. If I had this kind of money I would not be choosing to use a FREE anti-virus. Software!! Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,  kdsgrammy

PS I was also told by the tech that if I try to use another anti- virus program it could crash my computer.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
I am having the same problem with Avast. It is X'ed out down by my clock after I clicked on an Avast update reminder and I tried to uninstall.. I got an error message as well. I tried to install over it and it would not work either. So I called Avast help line and they tell me it is a malicious attack, but I had trouble understanding the tech since his accent was so strong. I did however understand him to say it would cost $99 dollars for them  to remove it remotely. Or $150 if I take it to a computer repair shop. If I had this kind of money I would not be choosing to use a FREE anti-virus. Software!! Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,  kdsgrammy

PS I was also told by the tech that if I try to use another anti- virus program it could crash my computer.
Download and save the version of avast that you want and the removal tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, reboot into safe mode and run the tool then reboot back to normal mode and install the saved copy of avast.

kdsgrammy

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 05:37:35 AM »
I forgot to mention the tech directed me to the event viewer on my computer that had a lot of errors and warnings omn there. How do I get rid of those?
Kdsgrammy

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 07:09:31 AM »
I forgot to mention the tech directed me to the event viewer on my computer that had a lot of errors and warnings omn there. How do I get rid of those?
Kdsgrammy
They clear themselves out in time but to keep your system clean you can install CCLeaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds choose the slim build as it doesn't include the Google Toolbar.

kdsgrammy

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »
I did what you told me to and I fixed the problem so I thank you very much!! Now I am wondering why when I called Avast they just didn't tell me this instead of wanting to charge me $99 and fix it remotely. I mean upon using your instructions I fixed it without any problem, they should have told me this, don't you think?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
I did what you told me to and I fixed the problem so I thank you very much!! Now I am wondering why when I called Avast they just didn't tell me this instead of wanting to charge me $99 and fix it remotely. I mean upon using your instructions I fixed it without any problem, they should have told me this, don't you think?
Your welcome :)

Who was it exactly that you spoke too? as it sounds like you may have called avasts old tech support service provider ( iyogi ) which is not used anymore for sometime.

kdsgrammy

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »
I called the toll free number found on the avast web site for Avast tech support The man's name was Charlie and he had an East Indian sounding accent. He also told me that when I called back to make sure and ask for him, to me, that sounded suspicious.