Author Topic: Avast pop up screen is not showing when i open Microsoft Outlook?  (Read 8887 times)

ProgrammerGuy

Re: Avast pop up screen is not showing when i open Microsoft Outlook?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 11:00:38 PM »
Tech, now you've totally confused me...  :(

I was under the impression that regardless of email client (Outlook, OE, Thunderbird, etc.), Avast does not scan SSL connections without STUNNEL or something like it...  Is that right?  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:22:05 PM »
Not wishing to put words into Tech's mouth, but I fear Tech got one word wrong in his post, which changes the context completely.

That word was should and it should have been shouldn't, then the context of the rest of the post would be correct. I have inserted the n't into the quote and as you can see it is in context (I believe)

Outlook will be scanned by Outlook plugin, so there is no need for redirection.
If you use Outlook Express or other Pop3 email client, then you shouldn't configure the redirection tab of settings. Anyway, avast does not scan SSL (secure) connections without the use of a third party called Stunnel.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 05:31:12 AM »
To try to clarify here (I know Tech and David already know the answer).

The Internet Mail provider (for Outlook Express and all other regular email clients - all of them totally unknown and uncared about to avast) works by intercepting the standard (set in concrete) POP and SMTP email access methods at the network connection level but only for unsecured email connections.  (avast and every other AV program cannot scan secured email streams - that is the whole point of them being secured).

The Outlook/Exchange provider for MS Outlook is far superior to the Internet Mail provider.  Microsoft has defined an interface for MS Outlook that the Outlook Exchange provider is designed to work with.  In this case MS Outlook handles all of the network connections (whether secured or unsecured - makes no difference).  However, via the interface, MS Outlook itself presents each message to avast to be scanned and so every message, irrespective of the connection type, gets scanned by avast.

The only other comparable feature is the avast plugin for The Bat mail client.       
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:33:34 AM by alanrf »

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »
Thanks Alan; that clarifies it completely...  :)

However, I'm not going to stop using OE since I do have a work around without using STUNNEL...

Didn't I read that Avast 5 will incorporate something like STUNNEL in it so that OE will then be able to have email downloaded through SSL connections scanned?  ???

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 07:45:40 PM »
Yes, the equivalent function of STunnel (managing secure connections) is expected to be included in avast 5.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »
Yes, the equivalent function of STunnel (managing secure connections) is expected to be included in avast 5.
Yeah... for other email programs and not only MS Outlook through the plugin.
The best things in life are free.