Author Topic: Avast pop up screen is not showing when i open Microsoft Outlook?  (Read 8838 times)

iga

Hi Guys

Avast pop up screen is not showing when i open Microsoft Outlook?

is avast Protecting my email in outlook i do see that the ports it looks at
is pop110 and SMTP25 in internet mail Redircet but when i was setting up outlook
to get my email from my yahoo email the ports where not 110 and 25 
yahoo was telling me that the ports numbers where different with SSL.

ProgrammerGuy

Re: Avast pop up screen is not showing when i open Microsoft Outlook?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
Avast! doesn't support SSL, so the answer to your question is no...  :(

You could install a program call "STUNNEL" which would allow Avast! to scan your Yahoo! email but I'll let one of the gurus address that...  If I remember right; Yahoo email is scanned by Norton.

I've also read that Avast! 5 will allow for the download and scanning of email using SSL...  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
You're forgetting that the OP is using MS Outlook (presumably not express {?} by the no splash screen inference) and as such the outlook/exchange plug-in works within the email client and can handle SSL email. However I don't believe this has anything to do with SSL.

@ iga
You don't say what version of MS Outlook you are using, but there is a likelihood that the avast plug-in within MS Outlook has been disabled.

Make sure the avast plug-in/add-in is not disabled in MS Outlook:
Outlook 2007 > Tools > Trust center > Add-ins > Manage Disabled items.
Outlook 2003 > Help > About > Disabled items
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »
HI David; I know he is using Outlook as opposed to OE however; based on his post it appears that he's being forced to use ports that are not the standard POP3 and STMP ports...  In other words he's being forced to use ports designated for SSL; which unless something has changed Avast! does not scan email received through these ports...

Or does Avast! Email Scanner scan email downloaded SSL ports when using Outlook?  Did I miss something?  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »
Then all he would need to do if he really is using MS Outlook (?), not express, it shouldn't matter as avast is working 'within' the email client and not outside of it, like the Internet Mail provider.

That is why the Internet Mail provider needs to have the redirect ports, where there is no redirect ports within the Outlook/Exchange provider settings.

So essentially if he is using ms outlook and the outlook/exchange provider, then it should work regardless of port, which is why I suggested checking the avast plug-in isn't disabled within Outlook. But we are going to have to wait on iga.

However, he is looking at the Internet Mail provider when he mentions port 110 and 25 as those being redirected and that is totally different to how the Outlook/Exchange provider and the avast plug-in in MS Outlook works.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »
Thanks David; I've learned something today...   :)  But I can't go home since I'm already there...

We'll have to wait and see what 'iga' says though it does sound to me like he's having to use ports 465 and 995 or something along those lines for Yahoo! email...  Much like I am for Gmail that is not auto-forwarded to another account that uses then standard POP3 and SMTP...

kth

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:28 PM »
Hi there,
I have also noticed the that my Outlook (it is outlook) is not activating the avast module either. According to instruction from my mail provider I'm using 110/587. SSL is not activated.
The first time I started up Outlook it actualy did, but not after I set it up to 110/587.
Any advice??
BR. KTH

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:49:14 PM »
You haven't said what version of MS Outlook you are using either ?

More importantly did you check to see if the avast plug-in has been disabled in Outlook (instructions in my first response, Reply #2 above) ?

Where did you set it to 110/587 as that isn't in the Outlook/Exchange Provider settings ?

kth

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:55:24 PM »
Hi again,
MS Outlook 2007
There are no disabled add-in, but I can't see anything that look like avast under the active aplications ad-ins. How should it look like?
Under the setting for the e-mail account.
br. KTH

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
Have you got the Outlook/Exchange Provider enable then ?

As to my thinking, if there is no Manage Disabled items and avast isn't in the active applications (sorry don't know where you are looking ofr that I don't use Outlook), then I don't believe the Outlook/Exchange Provider can be running.

kth

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:41:06 PM »
Yes I got the Outlook/Exchange module in Avast startet, but it is waiting for "a subsystem to start". Despite that Outlook is running.

kth

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:56:41 PM »
Hi David,
I spent some time looking for the possible disabled items in Outlook and I found it under

Outlook 2007 > help > disabled items

Enabling it started Avast after starting up outlook again.

So my problem is fixed.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:20:26 PM »
You're welcome.

Strange, that is meant to be for Outlook 2003 ???

The main thing is that you have things running now.

iga

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:44:33 PM »
Yeah its like what ProgrammerGuy said

Yahoo is telling me i have to use
ports 465 and 995 or something along those lines for Yahoo! email
so do i have to change the ports in avast from 110 and 25 to these yahoo
ports, or will i leave the ports the way they are in avast?

I'm using msoft outlook 2002

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »
Outlook will be scanned by Outlook plugin, so there is no need for redirection.
If you use Outlook Express or other Pop3 email client, then you should configure the redirection tab of settings. Anyway, avast does not scan SSL (secure) connections without the use of a third party called Stunnel.
The best things in life are free.