Author Topic: Virtualized & SafeZone IE9  (Read 3123 times)

DavidCo

Virtualized & SafeZone IE9
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
I have IE9 running virtualized all the time
If I choose the option to 'not use Chrome for Safezone' this then uses the default browser (IE9)
So then I would have IE9 running virtualized & safezoned?
Anyone use this ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Virtualized & SafeZone IE9
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »
As far as I'm aware the only reason for this option is because the avast safe zone browser is a chromium based browser and if you also have Chrome installed they share common features. So I believe this is to ensure you only run the avast safezone browser in the safe zone, rather than to gove the option to run your default browser in the safe zone.

I would say that you certainly 'don't' want to be able to run IE9 inside the safe zone, it would be introducing holes into the safe zone, that is the whole idea of it to be completely isolated from the main system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DavidCo

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
Well I am now confused
From another thread (today)
The only purpose of that "Do not use Chrome as Avast! default browser" as also posted by Tetsuo
"is to let Avast! open links using Chrome or alternatively the" system "default browser. No relations with Safe Zone at all."

I have not changed the default at all but Avast opens links with IE9 not Chrome

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
Well unfortunately the Help file is no help as there is no reference to this setting.

But surely if you open the safe zone it should open the safe zone browser and if you click links in the safe zone you would surely already be using the safe zone browser.

So I'm confused too as I don't know the circumstances that you are clicking links as running IE9 virtualised doesn't mean it is running in the safe zone which is different.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DavidCo

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
I have been trying to understand all the settings
As the checkbox seems to say that Avast will open a link of its own with Chrome or if checked will use the default system browser, I assume that unchecked the Chrome will be used.
Go to Summary>current status and click the link to Avast! News service and I expect that Chrome will be used.
It isn't

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
Well I can't test that as I don't have the Pro version.

Some time ago there used to be some links in the avast GUI that instead of using the Default browser it opened IE, and that drove me bonkers as I hate IE. I just found a link in the Settings, Community, Privacy Policy and fortunately that opens my default browser, firefox.

Now I don't know if this is some concession to try and prevent that from happening if you happen to be in the safe zone as essentially you don't want to open a hole in the safe zone. It certainly isn't clear.

Also since I use the avast free version, if this is a safe zone thing, then I would question why this option is in the troubleshooting section in the free version (unchecked)

DavidCo

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »
Thanks DavidR
I'm glad I'm not going bonkers or......

Perhaps an Avast rep could clear up the issues