Author Topic: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware  (Read 5999 times)

Offline rob24

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
I have had Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as the free edition for some time, but was recently invited to sample the full version for a trial period. That allows scheduled scans, updates and real time protection.

I just wondered if anyone considers this a worthy addition whether I return to the free edition or shell out for the paid for version for continued real time protection. Maybe there is something better than this that is free and effective. I had Superantispyware, but as my pc has got slower over time, it slows things down too much on scans and sometimes locks it up requiring a reset. At least Malwarebytes Anti-Malware doesn't hog resources too much, but it also never found anything wrong on scans, though since I've had the trial (which is due to expire in 5 days) it did block some activity (apparently, or is that me just cynical).

I'd value any thoughts. Not sure this is the right forum for this question but I always get good sense answers here:)

Rob
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Nesivos

Re: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »
Most advanced users here use it.  I don't recall reading where they have reported any conflicts when used with avast! free/pro/AIS

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Malwarebytes with realtime protection turned on is the best tool to compliment avast imo and there are no conflicts at all, it's a one time fee for lifetime license so well worth it.
MBAM will use more memory in realtime on your system so it would be of some benefit to add at least another Gig of ram to your computer so that you dont get anymore lockups and your system will respond much better.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
Just out of my curiosity, why do you consider MBAM so valuable to complement avast? For example, have you encountered a situation where avast failed to detect/block a virus while MBAM, as a second line of defense, saved your bacon? Or any other story you'd like to share? I'd be interested to hear the details... as well as the general opinion about the quality of Malwarebytes' products.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »
Well i can't comment on MBAM's real-time protection but i will say that the cleaning capabilites are excellent. Especially when it comes to rogues which is imho the weak point of avast!.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
I think a major area is that it specifically scans the registry in its scans, whilst avast has anti-spyware incorporated into it, it doesn't specifically scan the registry.

Those with the Pro version would have that registry monitoring in real time and not just fo on-demand scans.

I thing one of its strongest features has to be rouge/fake security application detection, after all it started life as RogueRemover. You only have to look in the viruses and worms topic to see this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nesivos

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
If you look at my signature you will see that I have two x64 and one x32 computer.

Other than Acer software on my Netbook all the software on the three computers is the same.

I find that avast! identifies a lot more malware on the x32.

A recent study I read showed that W7 SP1 x64 is a lot more secure than W7 SP1 x32 and even more so than XP.

ISTM that while avast! is a great product that the best steps that that a Windows user can take for security are

In order of importance.

1.  Use Windows 7
2.  Install the x64 version
3.  use avast!
4.  Run daily Scans though most people here feel that is overkill.
5.  Keep all software up to date
6.  Clean your computer's cache, flash files, cookies, temp files, pre-fetch files etc when you are done using the computer for the day.
7.  Use anti-malware software along with avast!   MBR and SAS are both good.

JMO :)

DBone

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »
If you want to spend money on additional protection, buy avast! Pro or AIS instead. You can sandbox your browser, and I'll take virtualization everyday over extra processes, and URL filters from MBAM or SAS.................Heck, add Norton DNS to your set up, and you'll stop 4-10 bad websites before avast! ever sees them. It's free, and doesn't take any system resources.

MBAM is a great product, and if you want to donate, do that instead.  
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:41:32 PM by DBone »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »
I have found that on several occasions malwarebytes has jumped in first and saved my butt, just the other day actually i had saved a free mp3 site to my favourites hxxp://beemp3.com/ the next morning when i booted up my system malwarebytes pops up straight away to tell me that this saved favourite is trying to connect out, no warning from avast at all so MBAM terminated the connection, i then run a scan and let it clean up the rest as there were a couple other things that it found, cant remember what they were but was related to the same link.
I have installed free versions of MBAM onto about 20 family members systems and when i do manage to catch up with them i always update there systems and there have been several instances after running some scans for them that malwarebytes finds something and this is with avast installed on all of them.
So in short this is why i praise MBAM.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »
If you want to spend money on additional protection, buy avast! Pro or AIS instead.  
If avast was supplying lifetime pro license's for $30 like malwarebytes i probably would but as they need to make money and i like to save money this isnt going to happen since i only buy lifetime licences for any of my software.

Offline gautam7

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
MBAM is great at removal. one of my friend had a rouge AV avast failed but MBAM cleaned it....
Lenovo B40 laptop/ core i3 4010U CPU (1.7 GHz)/ 4.0 GB RAM/500 GB HDD,OS: windows 10 64 bit, Browser: Google Crome/ FF (adblock plus, lastpass,) Security: Avast pro 10, MBAM (free).

warlock

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »
^^
+1 for this, unfortunately avast generally sucks at removing things properly, even if it removes the threat itself, it leaves behind all junk it placed in registry and sometimes even some temporary files. And I too didn't have much success using avast against things like fake antivirus programs and the likes.

Offline rob24

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:04:01 AM »
Just out of my curiosity, why do you consider MBAM so valuable to complement avast? For example, have you encountered a situation where avast failed to detect/block a virus while MBAM, as a second line of defense, saved your bacon? Or any other story you'd like to share? I'd be interested to hear the details... as well as the general opinion about the quality of Malwarebytes' products.

Thanks
Vlk
Hi,
Assuming this is to me, then no I don't have any knowledge of situations where MBAM saved a situation that Avast failed to, except as I mentioned the is trial full version did indicate it had blocked some activity (can't recall what).
I may be misunderstanding the function of programs like MBAM, but do they deal with spyware in a way that pure AV programs like Avast Free can't/don't? I had assumed so.

Rob
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:35:12 AM »
Anti-virus software protects a user's computer from computer viruses.   A lose interpretation of a virus is a program that copies itself from one file to another and from one computer to another.  They can attach themselves to executables and of course lodge in the MBR.  The can change files and basically make your computer unusable or usable only in a limited manner.

Malware/Spyware on the other hand is mostly used to gather information from your computer for marketing purposes or stealing personal information.   In other words a data gathering software.   Malware as such does not harm your computer unless you have a lot of it then it can slow down the computer.  However, it can harm you by the information it steals such as passwords.  Malware can also re-direct your browser to certain websites where again certain information can be stolen.

Bottom line.

Viruses are aimed at messing with your computer
Malware/Spyware is aimed at messing with you.

I could be incorrect however that is my understanding of the difference between the two.

Therefore

1. Anti-virus software is geared primarily toward protecting your computer
2. Anti-spyware software is geared primarily toward protecting you.

Of course anti-spyware software can protect your computer against certain viruses but that is not its main objective.

At least that is how I understand it. :)

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:41:18 AM by Nesivos »