Poll

OK I have tried to find out if running Superantispyware gives me anymore protection/capability than my running Avast.  Do I need Superantispyware in addition to my Avast anitvirus program?  Thanks

1 (33.3%)
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Avast vs Superantispyware  (Read 17326 times)

dlane123

Avast vs Superantispyware
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:35:23 AM »
OK I have tried to find out if running Superantispyware gives me anymore protection/capability than my running Avast.  Do I need Superantispyware in addition to my Avast antivirus program?  Thanks ???

YoKenny

Re: Avast vs Superantispyware
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:40:38 AM »
An anti malware application like SUPERAntiSpyware is good as long as you have its resident protection active.

However I prefer Malwarebytes as it has less false positives.

What is 1 or 2?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 12:42:47 AM by YoKenny »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »
By the way, Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then  then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:39 AM »
Not another poll ???

This is pointless as the two products are different so there is no Vs anything as they can both be used together.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dlane123

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:52:32 AM »
Thanks for the input.  My mistake on the poll and 1 and 2.  I take it Avast does do what SAS does and that I need both.  If that is true, what is a recommended set/list of protection software one needs, starting the list with Avast? 

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:59:09 AM »
Just check the signatures of various forum users, they usually represent good compatible multi-layered protection ;)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
Recommended set list:
Learning, learning, and a little more learning.
What do you use your computer for?
Does anybody else use your computer?
If so, are they on limited user accounts or admin accounts? (And are you, for that matter.)
Do you do online banking CC transactions?

Software:
-At a minimum, you need a firewall and an AV.
-Or a sandbox.
-And all software/applications patched and up to date.
-Make regular backups of all your important data. Imaging is popular.
-How's the physical security of the computer? All the good software in the world won't help (except disk encryption software) if it gets pinched.
-Think. Ask. Think again, then click.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

llariel

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 02:02:47 AM »
These applications (SAS, MBAM, etc) is for clean already infected computers (in free version). I really not feel the need to have these applications. See my info below

Saty

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 02:04:52 AM »
Avast is a anitvirus, SAS isnt, but SAS pro, and for thatmatter  malwarebytes pro work great along side Avast.
They can  also both be used as an ondemand scanner alongside avast.

the list of software to use can be long, and each person has there own preference, as suggested above, take a look at peoples signatures, as you'll find lots of things being used alongside avast without coflict.

hope this helps.

Sat

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 02:10:23 AM »
These applications (SAS, MBAM, etc) is for clean already infected computers (in free version). I really not feel the need to have these applications. See my info below

Hint - Start by looking at what other people are using in their signatures ;D
Then compare with what you have, there is too much of a good thing, if you spend most of your time keeping security applications up to date/tweaking, then you have too much.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

llariel

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 03:10:55 AM »

Hint - Start by looking at what other people are using in their signatures ;D
Then compare with what you have, there is too much of a good thing, if you spend most of your time keeping security applications up to date/tweaking, then you have too much.

When I was starting to know what is computer security. I had several applications because I thought it was more protected. As I was learning, and the experience that I have about three years (short term), I discovered that avast!, Protects the computer very well, since it has an excellent database. About 98% detection rate, the remaining 2% is composed of common sense and ThreatFire, which would be 100% (as it is only a program dedicated to monitoring the behavior). The programs are updated automatically (if you know set). As I said before, the other programs are unnecessary in a computer that is free of malware, for that ThreatFire was created to keep clean computers clean. When you are using all these programs on a computer free of malware, you do not trust your main AV product. Thinking to be infected.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 03:20:50 AM »
It is all about a multi-application/level approach to security no one application will give 100% and all those applications aren't resident, you can have only one of each category resident (1 antivirus, 1 anti-spyware/malware, etc.).

PamJ

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 07:48:44 AM »
It is all about a multi-application/level approach to security no one application will give 100% and all those applications aren't resident, you can have only one of each category resident (1 antivirus, 1 anti-spyware/malware, etc.).

So David, I can have Avast and SAS running resident at the same time?  (I'm talking the free version of each.)  MB free doesn't seem to have the resident option, only on-demand. SAS free seems to have both, but I have only been using SAS on-demand. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 03:13:58 PM »
The free version of SAS isn't resident, you need the Pro version for that.

SAS does have a process running so that you can use the right click menu option to scan a suspect file (as bit like ashQuick).

dlane123

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
Are the Free versions of SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes helping me at all?  It appears that they just scan and that you have to pay or upgrade to get remedial action. Is this correct?