Author Topic: About moving an infected file to the virus chest.  (Read 2650 times)

english teacher

About moving an infected file to the virus chest.
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »
Hi,

I have received a file from a friend via email. Of course before opening attachments by email, I always save it or them to my desktop and scan at virustotal.com This time a file came back as infected. I immediately opened up Avast and the virus chest, right clicked on the chest and then selected "Add to chest". I also told my friend!! However, I did find something strange which is that Avast didn't move the file to the chest but only copied it. It didn't delete or do anything to the original copy on the desktop.
My questions are these:
1. Shouldn't AVAST move the file to the chest and NOT copy?
2. If it does only copy, shouldn't AVAST either delete the original copy or somehow disable it by maybe adding "INFECTED" to the name? Example: FileName.exe.INFECTED
The latter could be an idea for a future version.  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: About moving an infected file to the virus chest.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
That isn't strange as unlike an avast detection where the original is detected by avast and is moved to the chest with nothing remaining.

You are manually Adding as the selection implies 'Add' that doesn't remove the original. At the time avast adds it to the chest it doesn't know one way or another if it is infected, just that you have elected to add it to the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

english teacher

Re: About moving an infected file to the virus chest.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I'd like to, however, suggest that my last idea be taken on board, if possible.
Best wishes.