Author Topic: No bootable device error?  (Read 12866 times)

tornado73

No bootable device error?
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:24:13 PM »
I have a hp Pavilion dv6 (laptop) and everytime (Every single time !!)  I start it up the main HP screen comes up then a black scrren comes up and after a while it shows the message (in the black screen): "No bootable device. Insert boot disk and press any key". It appeared to me yesterday afternoon but i restarted it and there was no problem, but at night no matter how many times I restarted it it would always show the same message. I gave the computer a rest and tried today three times but the same message keeps showing up!
My brother says it's because I overused the laptop (it's kinda true as I used pretty much every single day in July and August, and these past two weeks it has been on full afternoons/evenings every single day   :-[) and that I should give it more of a rest, but I have been searching online and most people had to format the whole computer and I have pics and documnts I cannot lose!
Please help me this has been killing me...

PS: I know this isn't caused by any worm (Avast 4.8 scanned the laptop a few days ago) but I didn't know where to put this...  :( :( :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: No bootable device error?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
PS: I know this isn't caused by any worm (Avast 4.8 scanned the laptop a few days ago) but I didn't know where to put this...
avast 4.8...... you are way behind in program update   http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

do you have a disk in the CD tray....if so take it out and try again

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
Try re booting & tapping the F11 key if you don’t get a blue screen it could be something simple like a lose hard drive.
Or when booting try holding down the ctrl alt & delete key.
It’s nothing to do with over using & if laptops over heat they shut down

tornado73

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
Removing the disc (it was a game) from the DVD tray was the first thing I did once this constantly started to appear and ctrl-alt-del won't work, it just reboots the laptop and the message basically appears again...
But if I do F11 (System Recovery) it will wipe everything off my system, won't it? I know that if it was System Restore I woudn't but it says System Recovery, that deletes everything, doesn't it? :(

tornado73

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 10:21:08 AM »
Oh I almost forgot i got into the BIOS and ran a check test. The memory was fine but as soon as the hard drive started to test it said "Hard Drive Fail" or something like that  :(
My system was already on with really high temperatures and it never shut down ??? so I have one of many theories(but it's probably wrong): Maybe the heat caused the hard drive's outlines to dilate and now the computer won't detect the hard drive because it is constantly moving due to the hard drive having "loose space". I know it sounds dumb but it's the only thing I could come up with. Does anyone know if it is like this?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
Hard Drive Fail" or something like that
yea...looks like you found the problem....your disk is soon dead, and i guess you need to replace it

Check your hard disk for errors
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:32:59 AM by Pondus »

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:32:41 AM »
I told you to check F11 to see if you had a blue screen if you did then it’s recognising the hard drive, could you boot into windows afterwards,  or did it say no bootable drive after blue screen.
The vents are underneath & need to be kept clean & not blocked keep airflow under laptop.
What operating system are you running.
& can you here the fan working hard.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
It's very easy to relocate the hard drive to see if it's seating ok.
It won’t hurt to run what Pondus suggested
& also start run paste or type this  sfc /scannow or in command prompt

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
You need to get the error message No bootable device before you try F11
 So if you get the message No bootable devise reboot tap F11 a few times to see if you get the blue screen,
If you don’t, it’s not recognising the hard drive you can only try this when you get the error No bootable device.
If you do get the blue screen it will say exit on the menu & you can just come out.

Hope i'm not being to complicated in my typing

tornado73

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 03:13:29 PM »
Check your hard disk for errors
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Well I would but it doesn't even enter into Windows (which is Vista, btw)  ???

tornado73

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 03:22:49 PM »
I told you to check F11 to see if you had a blue screen if you did then it’s recognising the hard drive, could you boot into windows afterwards,  or did it say no bootable drive after blue screen.
The vents are underneath & need to be kept clean & not blocked keep airflow under laptop.
What operating system are you running.
& can you here the fan working hard.

I started the computer, the message showed up , pressed F11, nothing. Pressed ctrl-alt-del to reboot, pressed F11 multiple times while in HP screen but still got the message...  I'm using Vista,have 4GB RAM, used 250 GB of 500 GB (so then you see I can't lose my stuff from the hard drive) and I have no idea (maybe not even the means) of how to open the laptop up... and I have extra fans below the laptop that I purchased a few weeks ago precisely to reduce the high temperatures, but only put it below the place where the hot air came out from (which was on a sideso the other was always super hot)...I feel like an idiot now by not having made a backup of my files while I could...

tornado73

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 03:28:27 PM »
but do you guys think that the hard drive might be loosen up due to the high temperatures??  ???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
but do you guys think that the hard drive might be loosen up due to the high temperatures??
is the air in/out open or full of dust......have you vacuumed the air in/out

i think i would take the comp to a repair shop and get them to backup your stuff if still possible
then you may need to replace it if it is on the way to die

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
Have you got an L shaped label back of the laptop if you have unscrew you will see the hard drive take it out & replace in firmly. After reboot windows message should come up start windows normally
You need to get an external hard drive so you can back up data for future use

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »
Like I have said F11 is not showing blue screen so the Computer is not recognising the hard drive, you need to check that the hard drive is in firmly, it’s the easiest thing to try first.
Laptops get thrown around dropped etc.