Author Topic: Running updated Avast IS with free Malware bytes  (Read 4717 times)

Ayye

Running updated Avast IS with free Malware bytes
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »
As stated I'm running the two above programs, using all the features included in Avast IS. Is there any other programs the are compatible with the above two that I should add to increase my laptops security? Thanks in advance

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Running updated Avast IS with free Malware bytes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:23 AM »
As stated I'm running the two above programs, using all the features included in Avast IS. Is there any other programs the are compatible with the above two that I should add to increase my laptops security? Thanks in advance

Hello Ayye:

When you are browsing the forum take a look at other peoples (evangelists) signatures.
THis gives you a good idea what other folks have running on their systems. ;) :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 04:58:36 AM »
You could always upgrade to the Pro version of Malwarebytes, WinPatrol is also highly recommended http://www.winpatrol.com/.

Ayye

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:27:21 AM »
Thank you both very much. I downloaded WinPatrol and SAS for another on demand. Is there any live protection settings with either SAS or Malwarebytes that could interfere with Avast IS?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:43:21 AM »
If you going to run them live ( realtime ) then you should only activate one and MBAM would be my choice, see here http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?act=findpost&pid=417798 section K for excluding avast and MBAM Pro, if your not running the Pro versions then there are no need for exclusions.

Ayye

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:27:50 AM »
I went ahead and added the exclusions, I have the pro trial but don't plan on upgrading once it runs out. Thank you very much for your help(:

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
Thank you very much for your help(:
Your welcome  :)

Offline ky331

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Just my opinion... but MBAM PRO is the only security program I recommend buying.   The one-time payment (it's NOT an annual subscription, as is often the case for security programs) is definitely worth it:   MBAM PRO can intercept/prevent many "rogue" programs that slip-by almost all anti-virus programs.

See my signature (below) for details of my system's configuration, which follows my belief in pick-and-choose LAYERED security:

Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Nesivos

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
Just my opinion... but MBAM PRO is the only security program I recommend buying.   The one-time payment (it's NOT an annual subscription, as is often the case for security programs) is definitely worth it:   MBAM PRO can intercept/prevent many "rogue" programs that slip-by almost all anti-virus programs.

See my signature (below) for details of my system's configuration, which follows my belief in pick-and-choose LAYERED security:

Just to note:  I am running SAS Pro on three desktops and all of them have lifetime licenses.  I don't know if they are still offering them.