Author Topic: SOLVED, no need to read...  (Read 2069 times)

dewild1

SOLVED, no need to read...
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:12:48 PM »
Never mind... I found it under advanced!  I forgot about that, been a month or so from the last time I played with it...

This is from the help...
avast! - help: avast! settings
"Exclusions" Page

avast! makes it possible to exclude some areas, or even single files, from testing; it means that avast! will not search for viruses there. It may be useful in several cases:

Avoiding false alarms. If avast! reports a virus infection in a file and you are sure that it is a false alarm, you can exclude the file from testing and avoid further false alarms this way. However, it would be nice of you to send us such a file so that we could fix the problem.
Speeding up the processing. If you have a directory on your hard disk that contains images only, for example, you can exclude it from testing by adding it to the exclusions list, and thus reduce the time spent on scanning the files.
It is important to keep in mind that these exclusions affect all tasks, except for the resident protection. If you want to set the exclusion for a single task only, you have to edit the particular task.

One of the problems we have experienced and one of the special ways we "tune" AV software for our clients, is excluding certain files and directories from scanning.

Large Encripted files, (Like finger print locked files that turn into a virtual drive (My Safe) and others like SafeMax), large databases, shared flat files, just about any large file in a networked-shared enviroment, all have major problems with AV scanners scanning and slowing down database queries, appearing to the end user as a "lock up" or even disalowing encription programs from fuctioning, is what happeneds.

Unnecessary slow downs can be avoided by exluding certain areas from being scanned as well.

I just got done redoing my CPULOCK, and I was revisiting switching over to your product, but if we can not exclude files and directories from being scanned, we can not use your product.

Even if there is some reg entry or INI file I can modify, that would be fine. I really think your product is the best I have tested.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:27:12 PM by dewild1 »

mouniernetwork

Re: SOLVED, no need to read...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »
Its not clear wether your actaually using avast or not ; but just in case you are still considering please know that you can excule any file from the manual scan as well as the resident protection  :)

Al968

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: SOLVED, no need to read...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:28:03 AM »
About Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

Igor advice: So, the list of exclusions is not meant to exclude a huge number of single files. First, as I said, it shouldn't be really needed, and second, the implementation is not really optimized for such a case. Every accessed file must be checked against each entry in the list of exclusions, so a huge list may actually result in a slowdown of the whole system. OK, it will probably be unnoticeable, but still... I advice against it.
The best things in life are free.