Author Topic: aswSP.sys BSOD - The driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations  (Read 5851 times)

NateKoepke

Dear Avast,

Hello! My name is Nathan Koepke and I am experiencing compatibility issues with Avast running with several products such as Citrix clients (ctxpidmn.sys), Trustware BufferZone, Jetico BestCrypt, and Immunet Protect. If I have these programs on my computer, they cause aswSP.sys to crash probably because of a conflict between the GMER-based rootkit protection code in aswSP.sys and the hooking routines of the drivers of these products that I tried to run with Avast. I have used the GMER tool in the past and its driver is very problematic in some situations. Therefore, I would like to suggest that in the next update or so that the rootkit protection be rewritten in order to assure compatibility with these software programs.

Or maybe have an option in the avast! general settings to turn off the rootkit protection part of the aswSP.sys module.

I have Windows 7 x64 and if you could please rewrite how aswSP.sys hooks into the system that would be great.

Sincerely,
Nathan Koepke
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:29:06 AM by NateKoepke »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: aswSP.sys BSOD - The driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
i think it could be becouse of the immunet if i get that right is working as a second antivirusprogram and it's never good to run two antivirusprogram at the same time. and it's if i remeber corercet there has been some trobule with immunet and avast in the past. it could also be trustware also seens avast has it's own sandbox now. so they could conflict. jetico  and aswell citrix clients im not that sure of so i hope someone can fill that in if there is some known conflict between thoose and avast.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

NateKoepke

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
I also had trouble with Immunet too in which I would type on my online college's discussion board and the keyboard would get all out of whack and shut off, rendering the keyboard unusable until I restarted my computer. I don't trust Immunet in its current state and therefore I am staying away from that. As for Trustware I also had weird problems in which the system would start up and shut back down. Thus, I am going to stay away from Trustware for now.

NateKoepke

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Citrix has an Offline client that some people need to use to access applications at work from home. It has a driver called ctxpidmn.sys that, in conjunction with avast, causes boot crashes because aswSP.sys sees it as a rootkit. Jetico BestCrypt is an encryption software that causes crashes because aswSP.sys sees one of its drivers as a rootkit. There might be many non-security products out there that have drivers that have compatibility issues with avast! because avast!'s rootkit protection is based off of GMER. Therefore, could you still please consider improving the rootkit protection because Avast in its current state assumes that if a driver hooks in to the system in some particular way it is to be deemed as a rootkit and terminated?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:48 PM »
i sounds like the avast team have to look into to this then. hopefully someone of the staff will answer to this.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

NateKoepke

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:58:20 PM »
Thank you. Also, about BufferZone, BufferZone and Avast should play nice together as that would be a good combination since avast! Free does not include browser sandboxing and BufferZone would replace the need for that for free users who are not willing to or can't pay for the extra sandboxing support in Professional Edition or Internet Security.

NateKoepke

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
Tell them that it is a suggestion for an improvement for the next minor avast! update.