Author Topic: De-register a PC licence  (Read 5313 times)

marrtin

De-register a PC licence
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:32 PM »
It's time to renew my 3PC Avast subscription.  The trouble is one of the licences is tied to a broken laptop.  I would like to de-register this laptop and use it for it's replacement. Can I do this or do I have buy a new full priced subscription rather than renew the existing at a cheaper price?   

Cheers.

iyogisolutions1

Re: De-register a PC licence
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
Hi Marrtin

Could you please tell us the exact date when your Avast subscription is going to expire?

and if you go for the 3PC subscription renewal, you can renew it for the same 3PC subscription, because anyway you are going get the laptop replaced. After the replacement you can use your avast as usual in the same laptop with the renewed license.

Have a wonderful Day. Good Karma! :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
It's time to renew my 3PC Avast subscription.  The trouble is one of the licences is tied to a broken laptop.  I would like to de-register this laptop and use it for it's replacement. Can I do this or do I have buy a new full priced subscription rather than renew the existing at a cheaper price?   

Cheers.

You don't have to de-register it, you have a license for 3 systems, 2 active and 1 not active (on the broken laptop). So it is a cumulative active systems/installations.

When you renew your license for 3 systems, the new laptop can use the 3rd system license. The old laptop won't count as it isn't active.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marrtin

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:39 AM »

You don't have to de-register it, you have a license for 3 systems, 2 active and 1 not active (on the broken laptop). So it is a cumulative active systems/installations.

When you renew your license for 3 systems, the new laptop can use the 3rd system license. The old laptop won't count as it isn't active.

The Avast subscription expires on the 22nd of November and I use all three licences, except I don't now as one laptop died a couple of months ago.  The replacement laptop came with a trial version of McAfee running which is also due to expire soon.

What worries me is I remember getting an email from Avast when I registered the last computer telling me I had used two licences and had one remaining. To me it inferred the licence was tied to the individual device regardless of whether it was active or not.

I'll try and track down the email.

Thanks for the help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:02:19 AM »
It isn't linked to a specific system, as that would cause issues when a system dies and a new one needs to be used.

You will need to uninstall McAfee before installing avast though.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marrtin

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »
It isn't linked to a specific system, as that would cause issues when a system dies and a new one needs to be used.

Thanks for your help.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »

Thanks for your help.
After uninstalling McAfee you will also need to go here http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ and run number 22a in the list to remove any leftovers before installing avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 01:11:52 PM »

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »

The Avast subscription expires on the 22nd of November and I use all three licences, except I don't now as one laptop died a couple of months ago.  The replacement laptop came with a trial version of McAfee running which is also due to expire soon.

What worries me is I remember getting an email from Avast when I registered the last computer telling me I had used two licences and had one remaining. To me it inferred the licence was tied to the individual device regardless of whether it was active or not.

I'll try and track down the email.

Thanks for the help.

You are welcome!! :)

Have a wonderful day. Good Karma!