Author Topic: How to add a file to whitelist???  (Read 11408 times)

Offline mavuongsoi

How to add a file to whitelist???
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
 I have some files that avast report they are virus then moves them to "chest". But I know they aren't virus. How do I add it to whitelist? I try searching this feature in "settings" but it only have "exclusion" function for "manual and schedule scan".  :-\ Now, when I access these files, avast always deletes them first.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:14:02 PM by mavuongsoi »
Avast 11 - Windows 7 x64

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to add a file to whitelist???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:37:24 PM »
Well the best option is to confirm that it isn't a virus (submit to virus total ### below) and send to the avast labs for analysis and correction of the detection signature. That way it benefits all avast users.

What is the file name/s and location/s ?
What is the avast detection malware name and on what scan was it detected ?
A screenshot of the alert window or scan log, etc. would show all of that.

###
Check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here, post the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Extract' it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\*
That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.

####
If only GData and avast detect it - GData uses avast as one of its two scanners so counts as 1 detection and almost certainly an FP.
Send the sample to avast as a False Positive:
Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update. A link to this topic wouldn't hurt.

@@@@
- In the meantime (if you accept the risk), add the full path to the file to the exclusions lists (see Note below):
File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add and
avast Settings, Exclusions

Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the File System Shield and avast Settings, exclusions lists.

Note: When using the Browse button it only goes down to folder level accept that. Now open the entry in the exclusions and change the \* to \file_name.exe where file_name.exe is the file you want to exclude.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mavuongsoi

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »
OK, I know. Thanks for your help  :)
Avast 11 - Windows 7 x64

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security