Author Topic: Ongoing notification  (Read 10758 times)

joaosreis

Ongoing notification
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:15:39 PM »
I think that the permanent notification is not needed, and it's a bit annoying actually.

NoNametheone

Re: Ongoing notification
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
I love it. So I think it should be optional.

jaxf250

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »
+1

Yes, please make it optional/configurable to allow user to remove or keep as they so choose. Thanks.

spideyx

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »
^ this

claribanter

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »
Yes, it really annoys me to have the notification constantly present. Please allow it to be disabled.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »
There's some technical issue with this, but we will work on it.

The problem is that Apps that don't have a notification icon can be abruptly shut down by the Android OS under low-resource conditions... not sure if that's a good thing for a security app.

But we will explore the other options - maybe there will be some other ways to prevent the behavior.

Thanks for your feedback
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Vicenteriv

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
But we will explore the other options - maybe there will be some other ways to prevent the behavior.

ROOT!! :3
(I mean, maybe there's a solution for root users, maybe just on the meantime)

MKChris

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »
I think if possible, it's imperative to at least have the option to remove the icon (on rooted phones at least.)  Now that the old Theft Aware functionality is bundled in with AV - and not only that, but a pretty well-known AV - people are going to know that Avast for Android comes with some pretty stealthy anti-theft options and to me that's a big issue, unless you can hide the fact that Avast is installed at all... that means (so far as I can see) removing the ongoing notification AND removing Avast from the app drawer and the only way to access ANY  Avast functionality being via the dialler, as was the case with Theft Aware.

Just my tuppence worth, anyway.

Vicenteriv

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
...People are going to know that Avast for Android comes with some pretty stealthy anti-theft options and to me that's a big issue, unless you can hide the fact that Avast is installed at all... that means (so far as I can see) removing the ongoing notification AND removing Avast from the app drawer and the only way to access ANY  Avast functionality being via the dialler, as was the case with Theft Aware.

Now THAT'S a pretty good solution, I thought of the same problem and posted it on another thread, but I didn't think of this solution, or of I did, I must of thought it's too much, but it seems a good option (Yes, it could be optional, couldn't it?). The problem would be, as Vlk says, stopping the OS from shutting down the AV in case of low-resource conditions
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:54:23 PM by Vicenteriv »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
Actually i like the notification icon. The thing is, at least with DrWeb Light, when the program component updated, it didn't autostart. Without the tray notification, you'd think that app is working while in reality it's not. Not sure how avast! behaves in this regard...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

rickyt92

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 03:51:24 AM »
Tasker has an option to set the icon to transparent but still show up on the pull-down notification. Maybe you guys look into that.

Primulas

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:30:08 AM »
I agree, I don't want this on my notification bar.please make it optional.