Author Topic: Removing Avast 4 before installing Avast 5...  (Read 2439 times)

8lunch2fast

Removing Avast 4 before installing Avast 5...
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »
Help!!! I have tried downloading Avast Anti Virus pro 5 on three computers. My laptop and desktop were no problem but my wife's laptop has been nothing but problems. I successfully downloaded, installed and ran a scan on hers but when attempting a boot scan the whole thing froze and had to spend several days trying to get it to work again.

She has an HP 9000 series running Windows Vista Home Premium, not sure whether it's 32 or 64 bit and her monitor has an issue. I looked in the program files and found both Avast 4 and 5 version folders, I tried removing both folders and only the Avast5 would let me access it. Avast 4 is self protected? I downloaded the uninstall utility from Avast but I get an Error: 536870929 code when attempting to use it. I have tried opening her system up in safe mode but with the monitor issue it is impossible for me to see the start in safe mode line or to select it during startup. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Removing Avast 4 before installing Avast 5...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.1.889 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.x, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

8lunch2fast

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Sorry, but due to the monitor issue, I am unable to open in "safeMode" the screen connection is bad and I must constantly move it in order to see a complete screen. Once the system boots the exterior monitor works fine but until everything is up and running I can't move the cursor or the arrow keys to select the "safemode". I also tried utilizing the uninstall utility and get a response of: A setiface error has occurred 536870929, and it won't allow me to proceed any further...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »
If you have been able to uninstall 4.8 and 5.x in normal mode ?
In theory there would be nothing running, so no self-defence module, you may be able to run the uninstall utility from normal mode.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security